So whats the deal!?!?!?!

B

bryan217

It seems like most of the people here are pretty well rounded. I'm sure if/when I tell the guys on the R6 forums that I'm likely switching to an FZ6, I'll be the brunt of a lot girly jokes. But you guys and girls seem to have the right mind set, ride what you want, whatever suits your needs. The R6 doesn't.

I'm not a fan of naked bikes generally, but I know there's options available for the FZ6. Personally, I like the looks of the FZ6R. I just don't think it would be as comfortable for 2 up riding, so I'm looking to get a (slightly) used FZ6.

From the Wired article: "Add a set of luggage and you could do a road trip on this bike. Try doing that on an R6." Love it, so true!!

L

LERecords

I've responded to this on this forum before, but I'll bite again :)

I agree - Yamaha is going to dump the FZ6 - I do not expect to see it as a 2010 model. In fact, my dealer did not even get any 2009 FZ6 bikes in stock this year - they only got FZ6Rs. So that made my decision easy as there were no FZ6s in my area when I was purchasing a bike.

Also, I prefer, as do a lot of other people, a fully faired bike. That means that my offerings from Yamaha around 600cc are the R6 and the FZ6R. Since I don't have the desire to shave seconds off of my lap time (read: commute to work), and I want to be comfortable while I ride, the FZ6R was an obvious choice.

I am absolutely loving this bike, and I'm not sure I'd be happier with a 2009 FZ6 (if I could even find one).
Ill add to this, your a little off, but not by much...

the reason there are not alot of fz6's this year is that "ALL" motorcycle manufactures are making less bikes due to the bad economy. the bike market has been shrinking every year, so im not supprised that you couldnt find one..

as for people perfering a more faired version... thats due to the years of having no naked bikes in the us.. i supposes its all up to the end user (as i perfer a half naked bike) for what they want. I would hope that yamaha is smart and will keep the fz6 around for a bit longer to fill the "i dont want an r6 or a fz6r" or the "i dont want high 110hp or the lower 70hp".. i personally like what i have for power and i wouldnt want more or less... but to each their own i suppose

B

bryan217

IMO, Yamaha isn't going to drop the FZ6 in favor of the FZ6R. Look what they did when they came out with new R6, they kept selling the old version as the R6S. So now they have 4 different 600cc sport bikes, something for everyone.

xplodnstar

I'm not a fan of naked bikes generally, but I know there's options available for the FZ6. Personally, I like the looks of the FZ6R. I just don't think it would be as comfortable for 2 up riding, so I'm looking to get a (slightly) used FZ6.
Actually, I can vouch for the comfort of the back seat of the FZ6R. It's not as comfortable as, say, a cruiser with a seat back, but it's doable for 50 miles or so.

I told my hubby after the last time that I refuse to ride 2 up on his 10R, so now when we have to we use my bike. He's so cute with the pretty pink stickers on there. :p

C

CravenMoorhead

Yamaha is obviously going to dump the FZ6 or re-vamp it... But for now, why buy a FZ6R when a FZ6 (and all of it's superior attributes) is just a fraction more expensive... To me, it just doesn't make economic sense to buy the down-graded FZ6R... beginner bike, girls bike or not...:thumbup:
I wrote this a week ago and they still ring true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglowe
Your correct, within reason the FZ6 would not be a likely an upgrade candidate for those that own the FZ6R series. But... in some aspects it is an upgrade none-the-less.

I don't see (for me) any really useful upgrade that could not easily be found aftermarket. An exhaust system would drop over 9 lbs. and add about a third of the HP deficit immediately and still keep/enhance the low to mid-range (reported) advantages.

The two extra front brake calipers, suspension adj. (for me) are non-issues and I really like my full front fairing, lighter clutch feel, seat/handle bar ergonomics, better MPG and color/graphics combo that I'd loose with the non-R.

Yamaha made them different for a rea$on.

The "your swingarm is cheaper than my swingarm" thing is frankly lame.

S

somedayrider

DONT LISTEN TO THEM man the fz6r not a girls bike a busa is then, man a girl can ride any bike this fz6r is my planed first bike so they can go jack off there idiots if its not there bike its crap im sorry i mean were all riders i mean i may have just downgraded them but its two wheels and a engine its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thats all that matters

M

mpb218

DONT LISTEN TO THEM man the fz6r not a girls bike a busa is then, man a girl can ride any bike this fz6r is my planed first bike so they can go jack off there idiots if its not there bike its crap im sorry i mean were all riders i mean i may have just downgraded them but its two wheels and a engine its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thats all that matters
Never thought I'd hear such truth from a 12 year old (13?) haha

As the old saying goes, it's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride.

S

stryken

Get what you like!! I almost got it myself and I have no doubt that it would have been just as much fun as the FZ6. I choose the FZ6 because I like the look of less plastic and the 180 rear tire. The components on the fz6 will make it a better value and you will probably end up paying the same or less for it. But value doesn't really matter when it comes down to what you like, because if you are getting on something you don't really like then value means nothing. I took a little crap from ?friends? about my first bike, it was a yellow ex500. Although I wouldn't go back to it now that I have my much better FZ6, there are times I think to myself that in the fun factor area my old ex500 might win out over the FZ6 :eek:.

S

somedayrider

Yamaha is obviously going to dump the FZ6 or re-vamp it... But for now, why buy a FZ6R when a FZ6 (and all of it's superior attributes) is just a fraction more expensive... To me, it just doesn't make economic sense to buy the down-graded FZ6R... beginner bike, girls bike or not...:thumbup:
the fz6 may have to much power for a starter....

08fz6

I look at it this way. I drove a 98 new beetle black with a 5 speed in it. That car was great! Didn't owe me a cent! People always call it a chicks car.... etc.... I would say wanna race... That car only had 115hp but handled like a dream! It always seemed to be the honda civic crowd and very few were ex's. most were DX's which are like a 1.5.... anyway I say ride/drive what you want! You can't live life caring what other people think of you! There are tons of girls around me that ride R6's.......... Most people seem to be all big and bad behind a keyboard, but very few would be willing to make those comments to your face!!!!!

08fz6

Very Impressed:thumbup: Also on this note, then i guess the corvette, mercedes sl500, bmw x3, bmw x5, Porsche boxster, etc are all girls cars.... I see many drive them!!!!

Wingover

I agree with the whole 'big bike, little **' theory. Maybe a chick shouldn't be answering this post, but listen up:

What a joy this bike is! I traded in my 1100 CC cruiser for a bike that banks hard like an awesome, aerobatic airplane through the twisting mountain roads of Colorado. I can roll the power on smooth and fast. The seat height, and handlebar reach are perfect to go on a longdistance crosscountry ride. This is an awesome, sport-touring motorcycle that is fantastic bang for the buck!

Any fool can go smoking-fast on a straight and level road..big friggin' deal. To me, after watching bikers in this state misjudge their entry speed on blind curves, and end up in the other lane (or worse), I am way more impressed with the sportbike/sporttouring riders (Yamaha, Beemer dudes/chicks etc) who elegantly, & smartly flick through turns! Now that is hot to watch.. Harley dudes and sloppy riders who try to impress with straightline speed and sucky turns? Totally not hot.

I have been a pilot for over 20 years, and this motorcycle is like flying! I am laughing in my helmet when I go flinging this machine around the fun two-laners around here.

If it helps, I traded rides one day with my CBR and Ninja dude buddies one day to see what they thought and they looooved my bike! Does the bike turn you on? The only person you gotta impress is YOU!!

C

crazy dave

****, ill rock the white fz6r and leave the pink flames...if i paid for it then i should be the only one that is allowed to complain about what it looks like

fz6rwolf

Could care less what anyone else thinks. Like Wingover, I went from a 1300cc cruiser to this "Little" bike and this is so much more fun (and I think even more comfortable). Looking forward to later this year going from RI to Pittsburgh, PA to visit my mom and brother (who has a couple cruisers) and going riding with him. I taught him how to ride back around 1978 on a xl175 I think, I was 16 and he was 10 but all these years we've never lived anywhere close to each other and never rode together so it's going to be great!

fuzzylogic

honestly i look at it like this.....

the FZ6R is the perfect bike for what it is ment to be...a fun and competent beginners bike. no more, no less.

one of the most valuable lessons i learned in my years of road racing and autox is that the vast majority of people who own high performance machinery couldn't extract even half of their vehicles true potential if their life depended on it and if they were riding shotgun with a pro driver who was pushing their car to the limits they would probably crap themselves. i would imagine this holds true for the bike world as well.

this little blip of wisdom that was handed down to me by my driving instructor was never made more true than the day i was literally glued to the rear end of a gentleman's porsche 911s at the streets of willow. i was driving my modified focus. A FOCUS!

the point is the majority of people who will rag on you for your choice in a bike are probably much more insecure than they appear and despite being able to toast you in a straight line more than likely wouldn't be able to embarass you in the twisties if you knew what you were doing. be happy with what you have and laugh at the ones thumping their chests at the local burger joint.

S

stryken

honestly i look at it like this.....

the FZ6R is the perfect bike for what it is ment to be...a fun and competent beginners bike. no more, no less.

one of the most valuable lessons i learned in my years of road racing and autox is that the vast majority of people who own high performance machinery couldn't extract even half of their vehicles true potential if their life depended on it and if they were riding shotgun with a pro driver who was pushing their car to the limits they would probably crap themselves. i would imagine this holds true for the bike world as well.

this little blip of wisdom that was handed down to me by my driving instructor was never made more true than the day i was literally glued to the rear end of a gentleman's porsche 911s at the streets of willow. i was driving my modified focus. A FOCUS!

the point is the majority of people who will rag on you for your choice in a bike are probably much more insecure than they appear and despite being able to toast you in a straight line more than likely wouldn't be able to embarass you in the twisties if you knew what you were doing. be happy with what you have and laugh at the ones thumping their chests at the local burger joint.
Well Put! and very true on the insecure part. :thumbup:

Look at the rear tire of many of those bragg'n super sport riders and often you find huge chicken strips..... I just point at the tire and laugh.

Straight Liners ... :disapprove:

R

Ryan T

Bottom Line: You get what you want and screw what everyone else thinks. They are not paying for it. Everybodies a critic.

To each his own.