ring a ding ding , it lives

Fizzer6R

awesome man! really dig the pipe and tank graphic is tastefully done, not "over the top" :cool:

RooKie

Wow. Really well done! Looks great!

stuna

well i can tell you it pulls harder than the 6r ,i came over a slight hill at 40 and the front was coming up , and its not broke in yet , so i have not ridden it hard yet

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Ah, the old two cycle, smoke and rattle, miss those.
Very well done! RD 400 with twin expansion chambers.
Good to see one of those preserved for future discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

6R Blackout

I can appreciate it, thanks for bringing back a classic, that is a beautiful bike. You did a great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Y

yellowfz

well i can tell you it pulls harder than the 6r ,i came over a slight hill at 40 and the front was coming up , and its not broke in yet , so i have not ridden it hard yet
Do you have a GoPro? Please do a vid of this bike.
I remember pulling the front wheel up was just a twist away.
God I want one again now. :D
What gives the RD350 I had had 63hp and I just looked I thought the RD400 was more but not.
The RD500 is 88hp, weird.

stuna

Do you have a GoPro? Please do a vid of this bike.
I remember pulling the front wheel up was just a twist away.
God I want one again now. :D
What gives the RD350 I had had 63hp and I just looked I thought the RD400 was more but not.
The RD500 is 88hp, weird.
63 not
from the mod shop . info
Thank you for considering us for your motorcycling needs.We ran my dyno for the first time in 4 years. On a customer's St II ported street RD350 with our RZ350 reed package and 30mm carbs, it made 56HP (rear wheel) with SPEC II F1 chambers!
and thats a modded out 350
i think the 350 was 32 , the 400 35 but more torque
http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?fid=rd400&mid=2_0_0_28_2105_AEhVv9EAAASeTjGqsQCgzCyDXsQ&pid=12&tnef=&YY=1341166521422&file_name=Dyno chart.jpg&appid=YahooMailNeo

Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

63 not
from the mod shop . info
Thank you for considering us for your motorcycling needs.We ran my dyno for the first time in 4 years. On a customer's St II ported street RD350 with our RZ350 reed package and 30mm carbs, it made 56HP (rear wheel) with SPEC II F1 chambers!
and thats a modded out 350
i think the 350 was 32 , the 400 35 but more torque
http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?fid=rd400&mid=2_0_0_28_2105_AEhVv9EAAASeTjGqsQCgzCyDXsQ&pid=12&tnef=&YY=1341166521422&file_name=Dyno chart.jpg&appid=YahooMailNeo
It was rated 63hp, look it up RD 350F, I did not make it up.
It was 52hp rated, just found the specs on the exact bike, 63 was euro model.
Doesn't answer the RD 400hp though, why less than the RD 350?
Yamaha motorcycles history and specifications, Yamaha RD350 RD400 RD500 RS100 Royalstar Roadstar Series. , 1987 Yamaha RD 350 F specifications and pictures
Don't try to fool the old, we were there.

stuna

It was rated 63hp, look it up RD 350F, I did not make it up.
Doesn't answer the RD 400hp though, why less than the RD 350?
Yamaha motorcycles history and specifications, Yamaha RD350 RD400 RD500 RS100 Royalstar Roadstar Series. , 1987 Yamaha RD 350 F specifications and pictures
Don't try to fool the old, we were there.
yup look at that spec cooling liquid . that puts it a rz 350 , was a diff animal with power valves , the rds were air cooled . the banshee was based of the rz eng , 350 liquid . the rds are like harleys you can only get so much out of a air cooled eng the rd400 was defunk after 79
Yamaha Rz350 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
there prices are very old , but this is who i delt with
Spec II -- RD350/400 Performance Products
or comparing a 76 yami 600 to a 87 yami 600 is not the same
my old drz400 made more power than a xr400

Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

1977 Yamaha RD 400 C specifications and pictures

1975 Yamaha RD 350 specifications and pictures

these are in the same class . and i bet thats at the crank no rear wheel
Agree, water cooling did help hp a lot.
Kenny Roberts that is a blast from the past.
Thanks for bringing up some old wonderful memories, ah the memories.
Just makes me laugh when I see people pulling the front wheel up, I think, did that before you were born.
Watched some YT vids of the Rx Yamaha, that sound is mesmerizing.
Darn it now you got me looking.

stuna

Just makes me laugh when I see people pulling the front wheel up, I think, did that before you were born.
ah yes the wail of it doing a wheelie at 40 is cool some would say just at 40mph . it is a air cooled 400 . even if i have a aarp card , we may grow old but i dont have to grow up :zombie: even the wife liked the wheelie with her on it . hence the. i back rest aka as the wife keeper :D if it was not there it would not go over well

CtrlAltDl

Wow, awesome bike! I especially like that it is a 2-smoke!

I've always wanted to build an old 70's or 80's 2-stroke bike.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

CDN6R

AAAHHH the old RZ 350.. I still miss mine. You Americans have to remember though that the U.S.A. spec RZ 350 was down on power compared to the Canadian/European spec bikes because the U.S.A. bikes had converters in the exhaust pipes to make them "cleaner". All I know that with Boysen reeds, and rejetting to #180 main jets,using synthetic 2 stroke oil my RZ used to pull to 10500 RPM's in 6th gear with stock gearing. (red line was 10,000 RPM's) The magazines used to call them R Zingers. BTW Stuna,, I am jealous as hell of your 400,,,, I do remember the RD 400 Daytona Special..those were really nice.

Last edited:

stuna

well i did it again :zombie:
now i am getting a 1978 dt400 , my brother picked it up for me in Minneapolis mn he said it has like 578 miles on it
i will post pic when i get it home . and of my yami fleet

Last edited: