Riding Jacket

njdan

Can anyone recomend a good riding jacket? I am looking for a comfortable jacket that will offer good protection. I have tried on a few friends jackets and most of them seem stiff and bulky, any help and any pcitures would be great.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Check out the New Enough Closeouts here: Closeouts > Textile Jackets and Pants :: New Enough, LTD

The Scorpion jackets are really nice. The Alpinestars are great and the FirstGear TPG is one of the best. Check each one for available sizes and colors as closeouts go FAST!

What weather type are you considering?

Always a good thing to upgrade the armor in any of them that don't offer CE armor. Also, you want a tighter jacket, not something loose that when you hit the pavement, will slide up your arms or torso. :D

JonKerr

Elite Member

xplodnstar

If you can find one at a good price I would recommend the Super Ego (leather) or Alter Ego (Textile) from Joe Rocket. They offer good protection and the bonus of zipping off the torso area to reveal mesh allowing for riding in warmer weather while still protected.

I can attest to the durability of the SE. When my husband went down he scraped up the right arm of his and got some wear over the zipper. Not a scratch on his arm or shoulder. We had the zipper replaced by a tailor that works with leather and replaced the armor, works the same with a couple scuffs.

Last edited:

janea

high vis

I know it's not cool, but I also know from experience that high-visiblity jackets greatly increase the chance that other drivers SEE you! You can get all-out jackets (I wear the olympia version), or high-vis vests to wear over other jackets. Either way, better to be seen. Sadly, the pink girly stripes on my white FZ6R clash badly with my jacket (I would send the pic, but the fashion filter would no doubt block it), but since wearing the jacket, I have had so many drivers come to a hard stop after glancing my way at intersections. Perhaps they can't believe the atrocious sight, but at least they stop:)
Here are some options: MotoGear Outlet - Motorcycle Jackets

nlpyle

I have the Frank Thomas mesh xti and the all weather xti jacket. I love both of them. I ride rain or shine and the all weather jacket helps a lot. It has a zip out liner for when it is really cold but so far I have no complaints on either of those jackets. My buddy that I ride with has both of them as well. I got them from Cyclegear.com
just my 2cents

F

FZ6Rgurl

I wear a full on leather Alpinstar jacket. I can't remember the "version" of the jacket, but it's white and black. It's kinda heavy, but it's super comfortable.

mfischler

Elite Member

Verranth

Icon Accelerant full leather jacket has been keeping me warm and protected for the past month. I must say that it was a little stiff the first couple of times, but it's loosening up really nicely! I love this jacket, and the Icon Automag leather overpants that I just bought too. Together, it makes me feel like I could hop off the bike on the intersate and slide to a stop without a problem...not that i am about to try it :p

Bigevildoer

I wear a Nexo leather jacket for a good part of my riding - has perforated strips on the arms and vents on top of the shoulders. It was very stiff to begin with, but after a month or so of regular riding it felt more comfortable as it began to "wear in."

For early spring and late fall I wear a Rhyno textile jacket with the liner in place.

For summer, I picked up an Icon Hooligan mesh jacket (Battlecry graphics) - the colour matches my bike almost perfectly! End of season sale - $100 for a jacket that usually retails for $239 or so.

Later!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
For you COLD weather riders? Today, New Enough put the FirstGear TPG Rainier on closeout! $400 jacket for $149! I picked one up before my size was sold out. Great 3/4 length jacket at an even better price!

bjpinub

I thought I would stir up an inactive post... so here goes.

Once the weather warms up in my area, I hope to start my first season of riding. Unfortunately, I haven't purchased a jacket yet. I tried to get some opinions about a Cortech GX Air Series 2 jacket in another post, but still haven't made up my mind. I have visited some local bike dealers, but I walk out disappointed, not finding anything which interests me. The other problem I face is most of the local dealers I have visited have a limited selection of jackets, so if I find something online, the probability of them having it in store for me to look at and try on is very, very low. I just hope users read this and can provide me some recommendations.

What I ultimately want is a "sporty" looking jacket which will provide me the best protection for the best price. I really do not want to pay an extreme price for a jacket, but on the other end of the spectrum, I really do not want to pay $100 for a sub-standard jacket. If I had to name my price range, around $250-$275 seems like a decent range. At first, I didn't want anything to do with a leather jacket. Now, leather is a possibility, as long as it is sporty and not the traditional/stereotyped kind one thinks of when they picture middle-aged men riding huge Harleys. I am not ruling out textile because from what I have seen, some textile jackets have more features over leather, but at the same time, it worries me a little when I have read posts about how textile jackets offered little to no protection. It would also be nice if the jacket had removable liners, allowing the jacket to be worn from cool to warm conditions.

I am just starting to get into cycling, so I don't see myself riding every single free moment, but when I do ride, I just want to have something that will keep me as safe as possible (in case something does happen) and won't break the bank.

Any thoughts from the readers of this post?

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I really do love my Cortech textile jacket! I rode to work this morning at 27 degrees. :eek: The removable liner rocks, it has excellent padding and it has that "sporty" cut look you might be after. It also has the 8" zipper for attaching pants, which I have done with my textile overpants. In hot weather, the liner comes out and the vents get opened up to allow air to flow through the jacket pretty well.

I recommend buying from New Enough because their customer service is the best, hands down. If you need to exchange for a different size or style, they are very accommodating. The also tend to have the lowest prices.

Cortech by Tour Master GX Sport Series 2 Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

bjpinub

I really do love my Cortech textile jacket! I rode to work this morning at 27 degrees. :eek: The removable liner rocks, it has excellent padding and it has that "sporty" cut look you might be after. It also has the 8" zipper for attaching pants, which I have done with my textile overpants. In hot weather, the liner comes out and the vents get opened up to allow air to flow through the jacket pretty well.

I recommend buying from New Enough because their customer service is the best, hands down. If you need to exchange for a different size or style, they are very accommodating. The also tend to have the lowest prices.

Cortech by Tour Master GX Sport Series 2 Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD
Thanks for the info. I will probably do a little more research if/once some other riders post their suggestions. Out of curiosity, do you know the difference between the GX Sport and the GX Air, other than price? As I mentioned, the GX Air was a consideration, but I didn't know if textile is the way to go. Also, how would I know which size to get, since most dealers around here do not carry either style while trying to avoid returning a coat for a different size? Any measuring tips?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I will probably do a little more research if/once some other riders post their suggestions. Out of curiosity, do you know the difference between the GX Sport and the GX Air, other than price? As I mentioned, the GX Air was a consideration, but I didn't know if textile is the way to go. Also, how would I know which size to get, since most dealers around here do not carry either style while trying to avoid returning a coat for a different size? Any measuring tips?
The GX sport (what I have) is a textile jacket, while the GX air (what you are looking at) is a mesh jacket. Mesh jackets will not offer anywhere near the level of protection that a textile or leather jacket will. Personally, in my opinion, I would stay away from mesh jackets because I don't feel the material is strong enough to offer a high level of resistance to abrasion.

As far as sizing goes, it's a hit or miss kinda thing with each maker. Each manufacturer has a slightly different fit, even in the same size across brands. If you are unable to try on a jacket you are interested in, refer to that manufacturer's sizing chart/information. They are usually pretty accurate.

bjpinub

The GX sport (what I have) is a textile jacket, while the GX air (what you are looking at) is a mesh jacket. Mesh jackets will not offer anywhere near the level of protection that a textile or leather jacket will. Personally, in my opinion, I would stay away from mesh jackets because I don't feel the material is strong enough to offer a high level of resistance to abrasion.

As far as sizing goes, it's a hit or miss kinda thing with each maker. Each manufacturer has a slightly different fit, even in the same size across brands. If you are unable to try on a jacket you are interested in, refer to that manufacturer's sizing chart/information. They are usually pretty accurate.
Thank you again for the information. To be honest, I thought mesh and textile were the same thing. What is the jacket like when it comes to being waterproof? Did you say it had a removable liner? Is the liner mainly for winter riding, or is the jacket comfortable enough to leave it in during the warm summer? I also assume there is armor in the elbows, shoulder, and back? Thanks, and take care.

travstoll

I have a SHIFT streetfighter jacket. Its a hybrid of leather and textiles. By far the most amazing jacket I have ever worn. Comes with a removable liner and armor. Worn it in temps from 20-100+....worn it in the rain, worn it off-road. I am a big fan of hybrid jackets and four season jackets in general. They seem to be the most bang for buck. Hybrids give protection of leather, and the lighter weight of textiles...Do lots of research and I'm sure you will find a jacket that suits your fancy...

joloy133

I have the cortech gx sport jacket, awesome, paid $150 on sale. They can be had now for that price. Another option is to wear armor, similar to MX, but you have to keep your jacket on at stops an such.

gearhead

I just ordered the Fieldsheer Razor leather jacket in red (the 2009 edition) Fieldsheer Razor Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD
According to my friends who ride with perforated leather, they say it sort of "floats" with the air rushing through the perforations so that it is really very comfortable despite the warmer temps. I like the protection of leather and am willing to try the recommendations of my friends. I'll let ya know how it is if you want. Should be here on Friday.

I have a textile jacket, but it is too warm to wear during the summer months, so much so I usually ride without it- not good. But it is really nice in the winter. I've worn it with thermals down into the high 30's with snow on the sides of the road and have been quite comfortable.

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately choose.