Replacing oil filter.

freerider

I am about to do my first oil change. Has anyone had any luck removing/replacing the oil filter by hand? The clerk at my local bike shop said it was possible. If not, do you think one of those straps will work? Also can anyone recommend coolant? The same clerk said you should never top off your antifreeze. You should flush and refill. Is this true?

Thanks

Freerider - NYC

FitZ6R

The factory oil filter is on tight and there's no way to get a strap wrench on it. The best approach is to find the correct size cup wrench. Otherwise, plan on mangling the filter with huge pliers to get it off.

For coolant, I'd say get it from Yamaha, so it it's compatible with the factory fill and topping off shouldn't be a problem.

W

whatever

can you buy the wrench form a auto store....or does it take a yamaha part # to remove.

i have 3 or 4 different cap filters wrenches for cars maybe one will work when i get the bike to check.

bmw675

if you dont have a filter wrench, you can still remove it by hand. you just cant until after you jab a screwdriver in it a few times turning it little by little. :rolleyes: its a pain and finding the right filter wrench is not the easiest of tasks either.

ive never messed with my coolant, never had a problem.

FitZ6R

can you buy the wrench form a auto store....or does it take a yamaha part # to remove.

i have 3 or 4 different cap filters wrenches for cars maybe one will work when i get the bike to check.
It's smaller than any of the usual automotive sizes.

DanielW0830

I just checked the one I used. It says 65/67/14 on it. (The 65/67 is 65-67mm and 14 flutes) (Just figured that out by looking it up. DUH! )

I think it was size 5 on the package.

I bought it from Advance auto parts. worked GREAT.
Took off the filter in seconds.

Last edited:
W

whatever

thanks i have a advance auto 3 blocks from my house i will buy one tonight.

W

whatever

found 4 different sizes in my toolbox one says

65 - 68 mm so i will see if that one works.... looks like it has 14 flutes.

Fogride

Duct tape will fix anything.

I have the same wrench and it would slip when I tried to turn it. Put duct tape on the inside and tapped in on with a rubber hammer. No problem twisting it off. Took some time to get the duct tape out of the wrench. Use the good tape, not what you get at the local hardware store.

Y

yellowfz

Ha , just did this, did the screwdriver way , just like most said filter was on very tight . Most wrenches to large, drain plug was stupidly tight as well.

markturk76

if you dont have a filter wrench, you can still remove it by hand. you just cant until after you jab a screwdriver in it a few times turning it little by little. :rolleyes: its a pain and finding the right filter wrench is not the easiest of tasks either.

ive never messed with my coolant, never had a problem.

I had to Jab mine with a screwdriver because there is no room for a strap!!