Reno Air Races

DakinechicK

So, I'm sure you all heard or saw the graphic videos of the 2nd day at the air races in Nevada. Unfortunately, we were there. My fiance was working at his jobs' display and I was there for the gambling and alcohol. :rolleyes:

Anyway, extremely horrifying!! My fiance, and 2 coworkers of his were standing up on top of their RV near the end of the day to finish watching the last race when the P51 mustang lost control and crashed into the box seats. Here's video that was taken. If you pause at the :33 second mark, you can see my guy (the tallest one in the hat) and Von and Ronnie and just how close the crash was from them. They were scared, even just for the few seconds, that they were going to die. I've never been so thankful in my life for what God did in keeping my best friend safe. I am very mournful of those that were hurt and those that died and I don't wish upon anyone to ever witness what we all witnessed in real life that day. Please PLEASE don't take life for granted.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60_W4tuTNI&feature=share]Original footage of Reno air race crash sept 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

There are more graphic ones on youtube, but I do not suggest watching them if you aren't sure what happened. It was gruesome.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

jjb

I was reading something where somebody was quoted as saying they had made some modifications and they weren't sure what exactly would happen... but I can't rememember where. Trying to find articles on the internet can be a pain sometime. I do remember reading that they also made the control surfaces smaller as well, so maybe they damaged the structural integrity of the trim tabs.

I'll just wait for the NTSB to make their conclusion. Just too many things could have caused it, even the pilot just having a stroke or something. Just what I was reading made the pilots sound rather cavalier about safety.

Last edited:

24KMACH

Last year I flew in a P-51D that had flown in the Reno air races. Before my flight the throttle broke but the owner had a NOS throttle assembly and two hours later we were in the air. Like me they are old and parts don't last forever. The plane that crashed was modified but most of it still came from the 40's.

Last edited: