Rear feels like it's sliding/slipping

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

surfphotochris

Interesting thread

Hi... I have ironically been having the same issue! I am a 15 year veteran rider, used to race track, and know my way around the road on a motorcycle! I recently purchased an fz6r because I want a commuter bike that still can have a little fun on the side when I want to. I have been feeling this sliding out feeling when making right turns. The first time it happened i was riding 2-up with springs set at 4 (going slow around a steep 140 degree right turn) so i just figured I needed to tighten up the spring. The next day I took the turn again by myself with spring still set to 4 and same thing happened. I actually parked and walked around the corner to see if it was dirt, sand, etc but nothing and my tires were warm, road dry! I went back around the corner at same speed (15 MPH posted turn I took it at 35 still slipped, 25 still slipped, 20 still felt wobbly, and even 15 it felt like it dipped a bit). I inspected the bike completely for errors: chain set right, tires are almost new with 500 miles on them, and everything else is right on! I moved the spring setting to 5 and went at it again and same thing! Being an ex track rider I was pissed that this little turn at such a slow speed could throw me for a loop and honestly just gave up! I have not felt this anywhere else or on any other turns. I am going out of my way every day to hit this turn and see what the hell is going on.... I even went home and got my harley around the corner with no slip! I was reaching a point where I was gonna sell the fz and just hate them but I am determined to figure this out.

redprodigy35

Nismo,

Ever since I went on here to lookup tire pressure specs -- I've been using 33 front and 36 rear. I check the pressure once a week, and carry a roll of quarters under the seat in case I'm @ a gas station far from home where I have the air compressor.

I've tried other combo's and to me this setup is most stable. Without trying, I've managed to scrub off more chicken strip, and the bike feels really stable.

One thing I have noticed is that I think those stock Roadsmarts (which I am rocking as well) take a decent amount of time to get warm/hot.

The only time I have had slippage issues is when they are cold -- right out the garage.

Reading Keith Code lately -- I have started to put more weight towards the rear of the bike. Perhaps you are a lil front end heavy? Try scooting down a bit on the seat.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Detrich

33 36 is used for spirited canyon riding or track. The dealer recommends 36 40 setup for all around street riding. I've been using this in the canyons and it works well too.

The only time I've ever felt my rear tire slip is cornering over "tar snakes" or tar road patches during peak heat hours- ie around 11am - 4pm when the road is blistering hot.

I've since always slowed down to < 50 going over those damn things. Just not worth it taking a dump going over those shit road patches- which become slippery like glass when it gets hot...

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

stuna

33 36 is used for spirited canyon riding or track. The dealer recommends 36 40 setup for all around street riding. I've been using this in the canyons and it works well too.

The only time I've ever felt my rear tire slip is cornering over "tar snakes" or tar road patches during peak heat hours- ie around 11am - 4pm when the road is blistering hot.

I've since always slowed down to < 50 going over those damn things. Just not worth it taking a dump going over those shit road patches- which become slippery like glass when it gets hot...
boy i have had tooo many slides this year in the heat :rant:
i have 100,000 on my wing and 18k on the 6r but too many scare slide this year on hot tar snakes

buzzbomb

Elite Member