Need Help Radiator Fan Not working on XJ6n (2011)

Stan3250

2nd question. The radiator fan is not working on my wife's XJ6n.
I found a faulty fuse and replaced that. Left the bike running but at about 115degrees C the warning light came on.
Then I found a little stone in between the pully and fanbelt. I removed that. Started the bike again but at about 115degrees C the warning light came on again.
The next step is to look under the fuel tank (hence my first post).
What am I looking for to isolate and check the power to the radiator fan?
How do I check that the fan is faulty?
Please give me plenty of detailed info (and a photo or two) as I am not very mechanically minded.
Thanks to whoever can Help

Jerzee55

There are several points to check out. There is a radiator fan relay, activated by the ECU, that supplies power to the fan motor. There is a Coolant temperature sensor that feeds information to the ECU. Assuming you are seeing those temps on your display, the Temp sensor seems okay, to the ECU. You need to check that power is going to the Fan motor relay at the 'turn on temp' for your bike, and if it is, that the relay is activated. If the relay is good, there should be power to the fan, which is grounded on the other side of the fan. Check the ground connection to the fan, check the relay(under rear seat). You can try hooking 12V directly to the fan to test it out, to check the relay, you will need either a voltmeter, or a 'test light', an old 12V bulb with wires attached to plug into the connectors for the relay to see if it is getting power from the ECU, and to see if it is passing power when it is activated.. Good luck!

Stan3250

There are several points to check out. There is a radiator fan relay, activated by the ECU, that supplies power to the fan motor. There is a Coolant temperature sensor that feeds information to the ECU. Assuming you are seeing those temps on your display, the Temp sensor seems okay, to the ECU. You need to check that power is going to the Fan motor relay at the 'turn on temp' for your bike, and if it is, that the relay is activated. If the relay is good, there should be power to the fan, which is grounded on the other side of the fan. Check the ground connection to the fan, check the relay(under rear seat). You can try hooking 12V directly to the fan to test it out, to check the relay, you will need either a voltmeter, or a 'test light', an old 12V bulb with wires attached to plug into the connectors for the relay to see if it is getting power from the ECU, and to see if it is passing power when it is activated.. Good luck!
Thanks Again Jerzee55, this sounds a bit more challenging. Have you got any diagrams like the previous one that tells me which one is the fan motor relay (under seat ??)? Your dealing with an absolute novice here.

Jerzee55

I would highly recommend that you find a copy of the service manual, available as a PDF, or a printed manual. You 'may' be able to find the PDF on line for free, but I find the printed manual (where the previous documentation came from) to be helpful. There is a section that actually 'walks you through' troubleshooting electrical issues, which as a novice, you will find helpful. Mine came mail order... fairly cheap.... :) You can also pick up an inexpensive DVM (digital volt meter), which is also VERY useful in life, to work on electrics and electronics... :)) Best of luck to you.