Race Tech Gold Valve Emulator install question

WeatherB

I'm looking to install this into my front forks... I've read a bunch of posts and guides on this already.

What I'm trying to figure out is do I need to completely separate the outer and inner tubes of the forks or would the damping rod come out without having to separate everything.

Trying to avoid having to get new seals and a seal driver.

Tnx

Y

yellowfz

If I remember right (been several years since I have done a fork) the dampening rod can be removed without taking the forks apart. It is actually what holds the fork tube together, once you undo the bolt at the bottom of the fork assembly (dampening rod bolt) it should come out. Use to use a broom handle to hold the fork tube damping rod assembly so you could take the bolt loose, or else the damping rod would just spin, don't know if they still use the old broom handle trick or not. I case it still works you shove the broom handle real hard and I mean hard, may take a few times, rounded end first, down the tube after removing cap and spring, the damping rod has a start like pattern (trox) and shoving the broom handle into it hard enough will cause the wood to conform to the shape of the pattern thus allowing you to turn the bolt and not spin the rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeatherB

I decided to tear them apart completely. Since I'm taking them apart, good idea to change the seals and bushings. Bike only has 20,000KM but why not.

WeatherB

I'm doing the install now and just to put the question to rest, yes, the damper rods will fall out without having to separate the top and bottom tubes!

Here are some pics of the install process. I've drilled out the damper rod, just need to clean up the holes.

Attachments

Last edited: