Quitest Chain

Fizzer6R

if a chain is that loud, it needs lube ;)

unless a link is bad?... helps to have a rear stand, put bike up and roll the tire looking to see if the chain is straight or has a kink etc.

Michael Wilson

All chains have a quiet little hum to them. It's just the teeth connecting with the sprockets. Give it a slight lube job and see if that helps. If not you can replace the chain AND rear sprocket (expensive and might not work) and possibly your front sprocket (and expensive and might not work). Only replace them if they are warped, missing teeth, worn down, ect. Pretty sure your chain jsut needs a little oil or you just think your hearing something that is normal

anson650

If the chain is slightly off in it's adjustment it is noisier. I adjust mine by sound and feel. "Perfectly" centered is quietest. Too tight is noisy also. If and when you get around to changing chain and sprockets, change them as a set, both sprockets and a new chain. The old component(s) will prematurely wear the new one(s). Sometimes I coast down a three mile hill with the motor off just to hear the wind, the chain and the tires on the road.
Anson

Copper6R11

I'm pretty sure all fz6r's have noisy chains, if u can't hear it, you probably aren't listening close enough. it can best be heard if you ride slowly, without your helmet, and move your left leg away from the bike(or when u ride past a barrier). The problem is i can hear it pretty clearly, and i hear it by the front sprocket too, which is louder. My bike is only like 3 weeks old, so the sprockets are fine and new, and i'd just like to replace the chain with an aftermarket one, and am inquiring which is best.

I have mentioned it to my mechanic @ my 600 mile service, he showed me the chain had the right slack. He lubed it up real good, but the noise can still be heard.

For those of you who have replaced the stock chain, which brand did you get?

Deanohh

You are out of your mind. If that is your criteria for a noisy chain, then all motorcycles with chains have noisy chains. There is no such thing as a quiet chain... you should buy something with a belt drive, but if you listen closely enough, you can hear that too.

Copper6R11

You are out of your mind. If that is your criteria for a noisy chain, then all motorcycles with chains have noisy chains. There is no such thing as a quiet chain... you should buy something with a belt drive, but if you listen closely enough, you can hear that too.
I'm not the only one whos heard this chain noise bro, and since im new to this bike, im just seeing if it can be reduced. If not, its no big deal, but i've been on enough bikes with quieter chains. I'm not sweatin it, but im also not "out of my mind" for pointing out a noisy chain and seeing if i can do anything about it.

Copper6R11

...but perhaps since this bike's exhaust is quiter than most, the chain noise just "seems" louder than other bikes. Just don't know if changing out the chain will make a difference.

If any experienced/longer owners know what im talking about or have dealt with this before...shed some light.

Copper6R11

I should have picked a different figure of speech.. no offense meant.
...appreciate it man, im just trying to gather some facts and opinions before/if i consider replacing the stock chain....Also, i came to relieze that if i upgrade my exhaust, i doubt this chain noise will be an issue.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

I've put on a new chain and sprockets, but it's still going to make some noise. Keep it lubed and adjusted properly and alls good....otherwise, buy a bike with shaft drive. :)

See red

I should have picked a different figure of speech.. no offense meant.
lmao!!!! way to back down......... show some spine, get in there and tear it off like a paper towel champ! lmao!

Sorry, that was from a movie.... just thought it fit so well! And how do I know either of you aren't crazy? How do you know I'm not? Pssst I may be stalking you ....... look out your window. lol!!!!

I have a stock exhaust, and the chain sounds just like every other chain, hell it is actually quieter than my aprilia's chain. but what do I know?? I forgot capitals at the beginning of some of my sentences. lol!