questions about guns

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BKP

Already mentioned I have a G19 for carry. I find the combination of the internal safeties, which allow initial shot to be SA, yet is essentially impossible to discharge accidentally, whether properly deploying, or even dropping the handgun (of course, if you're a yahoo that runs around with your finger *inside* the trigger guard, all bets are off for *any* handgun). So, I fail to see the issue with it being a "first gun." If anything, it's safer than a cocked and locked SA/DA because both the firing pin is blocked, and the trigger bar is not aligned until both the trigger and trigger safety are squeezed. This has to be a deliberate action.

That said, I'm also a big fan of the Baretta 92fs (although, I don't find it to be the most accurate of those I own); the Sig P226 (which I've owned for 15 years, and is probably my most oft-used range gun, because like the Glock, it will feed shredded wheat without an FTF), and groups well, due to limited recoil (it's a heavy gun); Browning Hi-Power; and S&W MP. All very solid reliable guns, with completely disparate ergonomics, and therefore will have completely disparate advocates.

I am *not* a fan of Taurus semi-autos, and I've owned both the PT92, and PT908. The 92 was pretty good, although did not distinguish itself above the aforementioned in terms of accuracy or FTF. The 908 absolutely sucked, and would stovepipe mercilessly. In fact, I still have the 908 around here somewhere because it wasn't worth selling, and if a potential thief tries grabbing it, he'll probably get himself killed trying to deploy it. However, the Taurus revolvers are another matter. Excellent guns. In fact, if I were to carry a revolver, it would be either the S&W, Ruger SP101 or the Taurus Judge.

This is not a defense of any of the above, but rather my personal perspective. And, handguns are most certainly a personal matter. So, personally, as a carry gun, for me it's the Glock 19 (with a Galco out-of-waistband holster):

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

buckwild

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ain2by4Fums]DEA Agent shoots himself in the foot. - YouTube[/ame]

You are all very correct that without pressure on the trigger the Glock will NOT fire, however even trained professionals make mistakes :p

*EDIT* My use of the word "professional" is very loose in this example....

BKP

After cycling the slide with a hot magazine, which is what he did, ANY gun would have fired when that idiot pulled the trigger. Brand is immaterial in that case.

He had *NO* business racking that gun without checking the mag.

buckwild

ANY gun without a lever safety would have fired, that little walther p22 would not have fired, nor would an HK USP, as they have lever both have a lever indicated safety.

The only point I am trying to make is for a fresh pistol shooter, the more safety the better, althought NO safety system should be trusted and your own trigger control should be the same reguardless of it you have a glock or something de-cocked with a safety on.

BoneJj

I've had mine since March 2008, PT 24/7 Pro model in .40 caliber w/ 15 rd mags = $376. After 2,000+ rounds - the only issue I ever have is a failure to feed every 200-300 rounds. After cleaning and lubing the magazines the problem goes away. Mostly shoot winchester white box or blazer brass. If you plan on putting 10,000 rounds through it in a year then yea I could see it wearing out....but if you've got that kind of time and money then a Taurus is the wrong tool for you.

Old review of it (actually compared to Glock 19):
Taurus PT 24/7 Std: Value Defender, Part 1 - YouTube
Those are the issues that would aggravate the heck out of me. I like to put a good 3k rounds through my main plinkers each year.
Despite what anyone says, a 22 has enough power to drop anything in North America.Im not saying that its an ideal self defense weapon, just that its a sensible place to start.With the price of ammo it will actually pay for itself compared to shooting a 9mm or 45 alot.

I love my Walther p22, I allways throw it in my pocket when I hike and stuff.Its small enough to forget your carrying, but large enough to fully fit your hand.

My cousin bought one of the Ruger Lcp 380's.The Walther fits my hand alot better, and definitely has a edge in accuracy.When a target silhouette becomes hard to hit with the Lcp, the little Walther will still hit a tin can at ease.Its a pretty cool little gun for its price.
22s can hold their own in a lot of situations but I would still prefer something more to the 9mm punch though. I think that the 9mm is a great all purpose round.
I would actual like to test out a few of the walther models as I have a few friends that I served with that have recommended them to me as well.
ANY gun without a lever safety would have fired, that little walther p22 would not have fired, nor would an HK USP, as they have lever both have a lever indicated safety.

The only point I am trying to make is for a fresh pistol shooter, the more safety the better, althought NO safety system should be trusted and your own trigger control should be the same reguardless of it you have a glock or something de-cocked with a safety on.
I agree.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

spider2k

Elite Member

roundhouse

Despite what anyone says, a 22 has enough power to drop anything in North America.Im not saying that its an ideal self defense weapon, just that its a sensible place to start.With the price of ammo it will actually pay for itself compared to shooting a 9mm or 45 alot.

I love my Walther p22, I allways throw it in my pocket when I hike and stuff.Its small enough to forget your carrying, but large enough to fully fit your hand.

My cousin bought one of the Ruger Lcp 380's.The Walther fits my hand alot better, and definitely has a edge in accuracy.When a target silhouette becomes hard to hit with the Lcp, the little Walther will still hit a tin can at ease.Its a pretty cool little gun for its price.

i have a P22 as well but it would not be my first choice with my life on the line. while i agree it is a fine pistol i want more kinetic energy from my projectile.

BKP

The majority of handguns will NOT cycle with the external safety on to begin with, some will only cycle with the safety on if you have the hammer cocked.
This guy cycled his firearm. It makes this conversation moot.

If the aim is to carry concealed, I question your concept of "safety." Carrying a handgun in Condition Three is the safest (in regard to accidental discharge): hammer down, safety on, chamber empty. However, in terms of deployment (which is the purpose of carrying concealed, should you ever need to), it's the most dangerous, and will most probably get you killed in any situation hostile and threatening enough where you feel you're justified to deploy.

Condition One (standard 1911 .45 carry): chambered, cocked, external safety on, is the closest you can get to fastest deployment (just short of the Glock), which is why it's the favored method for those that carry 1911s.

If your purpose is simply a range gun, then the "safest" method (which is also range rules) is gun cleared, and no magazine loaded. At that point an external safety is also moot.
Same holds true for cleaning, inspecting your firearm.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

Understand. However, friendly debate on the pros/cons of the different models/features/purpose aids in answering that question... no?

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

spider2k

Elite Member

vengeance44

well im actually gonna try to go to the range with a buddy of mine he has a g17 so im gonna try it out and see how it fits and feels

killabee

I live in CA also. My first gun was a Glock 19 OD. Love it and haven't had any issues with it. Get your license and go to the range to get some practice/help from workers there.

As far as concealed carry in CA, forget about it unless you're currently a peace officer.