Question for those who moded stock exhaust w/ new tip

tzrox

Hey guys,

Had a couple of Qs just to see if mine is "normal"

1. How big of a pipe / tip did you weld on and how big is the opening now?
2. What did you do to the original pipe, did you cut it out as much as possible, or just leave it where it was cut off?

Reason for asking is that I went ahead and did the mod a few days ago and mine is way too loud somehow although I'm not sure if that's my ears being sensitive to a specific frequency its now making or the way its supposed to be. The overall loudness under revs is not my problem, but rather the bike at idle and low rpms has a really loud drone that fills my garage and also my helmet when riding making my ears ring after a short ride.

If I try to record it with my phone it just sort of overpowers the microphone as if at a loud concert (actually I can record a loud concert better lol).

All the sound appears to be coming from the exhaust so I don't think its me doing something whacky with mounting the headers back on.

At any rate, hoping I can fix it, or else I'd rather go back to stock and go the regular exhaust route (or even just retry drilling the holes).

I'll try and record it with a laptop mic.

Thx!

Euroklydon

Did you just cut the tip or cut the inner baffling?
I have a 2 inch tip on mine and I get the odd ear vibration/ringing when I start riding. Like you said an odd frequency or something.

My brothers zx6r is louder but I don't get that odd ear irritation in my helmet.

tzrox

Yeah i just cut the tube and left it where its cut. So there is the outer hole and inner tube right next to each other with a 2.5" hole or so. It's weird its the kind of loud where when I accelerate I don't really hear the engine wine / scream it just sort of more... "WOOOOOOO" not "WRRRRRRR" lol... if. that makes any sense. And i'd much more prefer the latter.

Euroklydon

If you scroll down a bit I have a post called "both exhaust mods done".
I did the tip and cut out the baffling. It's a little lower than just the tip mod. I have a couple vids but you can't really tell the sound over the vid.

Worth a shot, either it sounds good or stays just as bad and you buy another stock exhaust for 100$

tzrox

so you got less of the ringing with the gutted version? I had somebody else do the welding, I don't have the tools so it'd likely be about $50 just to try. I'm mainly worried that it would still be there. Cutting so much of the insides doesn't require a re flash though? Bike still runs fine?

Euroklydon

I haven't noticed any difference and i ream the shit of it on a daily basis.
It's not cutting much out just 2 pieces of tubing. With the cat not tampered with at all I can't imagine it causing any problems down the road.