Puig Touring screen and wind noise?

bobski

I love my Puig Touring windscreen because it smooths out the wind buffeting sooo much. However, I stood up on the pegs (on the highway to strech my legs) and noticed that with my head completely exposed and raised well above my normal riding position the wind noise I experience at highway speeds was
GREATLY reduced. Anyone else notice this? I tried placing my hand at various spots around the base of my helmet but it didn't seem to make much difference. The noise I experience is a low frequency ruffling kind of noise. Anyone got any ideas?

BKP

I'm trying to understand what you're experiencing. Do you mean that wind noise is actually lower when you stand up, and your helmet is outside the "range of protection" of the touring screen, than when you're normally seated?

I have a Puig Touring screen on order, myself. I ordered it basically for the cooler weather, to keep the wind off me (and my neck) when it gets colder (and it seems, with the back order, that's about the time it'll arrive).

However, I'm interested in understanding if you think there's some disadvantage to the screen in this post?

JSP

Super Moderator
This is why I cut down my windscreen instead of a larger one. No wind buffeting and just smooth clean air. Yes there was more air but it was much nicer. :thumbup:

bobski

I'm trying to understand what you're experiencing. Do you mean that wind noise is actually lower when you stand up, and your helmet is outside the "range of protection" of the touring screen, than when you're normally seated?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I love the windscreen, VERY smooth air, but I just noticed this . . maybe it's just my helmet . . I ride with a 3/4.

JSP

Super Moderator

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I love the windscreen, VERY smooth air, but I just noticed this . . maybe it's just my helmet . . I ride with a 3/4.

Ride with the windscreen off and see how you like it.

bobski

Ride with the windscreen off and see how you like it.
Yep, have done lots and it's great, that was my first experiment in dealing with buffetting, then Yamaha Double Bubble, then Puig Touring.

bobski

I think it's mostly my helmet. The Puig Touring is still the best windscreen (I'm sure Marthy's is great but I haven't tried it) for dealing with wind buffetting IMO.