Plastic License Plate Screws

ramflyer1899

You know those plastic license plate screw that came with your bike? Get metal ones!!!

I finally got out this weekend and got on the autobahn - open the bike up to max which was about 136MPH. Come to find out my license plate broke off.

Luckily I found the plate in the fast lane of Autobahn 6. The Germans don't really like pedestrians on the autobahn so the Polizei were glad to help me get the plate back.

The Polizei were a bunch cool dudes about it.

Detrich

that's awesome that they helped you find it... the autobahn sounds awesome too...

mount a camera or something next time so we can experience it vicariously... lol :)

JonKerr

Elite Member

ramflyer1899

I'm actually trying to get a Kodak zi8 to mount on the bike. I posted one video before I left the states that shows how to change the speedo from MPH to KPH.

The autobahn is mostly straight. When it gets twisty they usually post a speed limit of 100-130 KPH. It's not all open with no limit all the time like some people think.

The Germans are really good about following the rules too. I can predict what someone is going to do before they so it. It's all about standardization over here unlike in the States. Even without a speed limit I feel safer here.

I'll let you know when I post a new vid.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

CHP MC cops here are now all on BMW's too. They had one at a car show we went to last summer that was themed "Law Enforcement Night." Those things have to cost $30k to build at least as nice as they are and as much stuff is on them. And they're HUGE. No wonder they've been writing so many damn tickets here. Gotta pay for the bikes somehow. ;)
They're about 19K...but they aren't buying anymore right now. And, they run them over 100k miles now because of the State budget (use to be 60k). CHP is getting ready to test the new Kawasaki Concours 14. Cheaper to buy and maintain I bet.

Here's a fun fact: CHP doesn't get ANY of the $ for the tickets they write. It all goes to the city and county its written in.

Last edited:

MikeN02

You know those plastic license plate screw that came with your bike? Get metal ones!!!

I finally got out this weekend and got on the autobahn - open the bike up to max which was about 136MPH. Come to find out my license plate broke off.

Luckily I found the plate in the fast lane of Autobahn 6. The Germans don't really like pedestrians on the autobahn so the Polizei were glad to help me get the plate back.

The Polizei were a bunch cool dudes about it.
Which license plate screws are we talking about? I used my reflectors all the time or metal screws... never seen plastic ones.

Halon

My 2010 came with plastic screws as well, the ones to hold your temporary plate to the fender. You know it's kinda silly that you buy a brand new bike, and they skmp on something as small as 2 nuts and bolts.

Gotta buy some hex bolts or something now.

pyrocpu

The Germans are really good about following the rules too. I can predict what someone is going to do before they so it. It's all about standardization over here unlike in the States. Even without a speed limit I feel safer here.
That's because driver training is actually taken seriously there in Germany. When I was there, I was amazed at the skills that common drivers have. They follow rules, and emphasis is placed on operating a motor vehicle properly.

Unfortunately here, Americans are fat/lazy/chatty on mobile phones in their land yachts. Driver training is negligible, and nearly everyone believes it's their right to obtain a driver's license.

Anyhow, rant aside, not sure about those plastic LP screws. Dealer affixed a couple of those reflector-type screws to my bike... super snug. Well, until I got the FE on. :D