Pirelli Angel Gt first review

jearnshaw

Well I just had my front tire replaced with the Angel Gt. Right now I am breaking it in and across it feels like the bike turns in faster now. Seems weird though like the front end feels more heavy.

But I am excited though to see how the bike handles when I start pushing the bike faster.

jearnshaw

Well I have a few hundred miles on the tire now and I am really loving this tire. The "heavy" feeling I feel turns out to be a good thing...makes the bike feel a lot better and more stable through the turns. I am still getting used to the tire and I am already as fast if not a little faster through the same turns as I was with the factory Bridgestone.

linkgt

Nice. I was actually thinking of upgrading to these tires next year from my PR3's. Keep us updated :)

jearnshaw

Well I was caught in a down pour on my 25 mile commute home. I don't push my bike too fast in the rain but I did feel safe and sound, until I got to my dirt road to my house and hit some mud. But I can't blame the tire for that, just about any street tire is going to feel greasy in the mud.

kvc25

Might just be my eyes deceiving me but I just got my bike back today from the shop. Is it just me or does the rear angel GT tire seem narrower than the stock tires. They are both the same size but For some reason, I don't know if it's the rounder profile of the pirellis but i kind of got the feeling like it's just a tad bit narrower. Again, this could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Anyone else notice this at all?

jearnshaw

This the first time I hear someone wear the front before the rear, how can this happen? :confused:
My coworkers tell me that I push it too hard through the turns... I think it might have something to with the dirt and gravel roads I travel through sometimes.

Also on the front tire review I have a little over 1200 miles on it now and I am still loving it, and the bike is still handling better then ever and as much rain as we had over the past few weeks I think I have put almost 500 miles in the rain with the Pirelli and once I have never felt scared.

BKP

I think I have 4 oz. on my PR2 rear, and I've loved all of the almost 8k they've given me so far. So, that's not an issue. However, time for a new set. I have another set of PR2's in my cart, but I've been hearing a lot of positive about the Angel GT's. I did read (and see -- there were photos) of a dangerously fast degeneration (within one tank of gas) from down to the wear bars to steel cord showing, on the GT's.

Maybe I'll sleep on it...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

Well, slept on it... and I think I'll stick with the Michelin PR2's. They've been fabulous all around: longevity, grip, wet and dry, and no discernible flattening, or scalloping ...
The *only* thing I've noticed, is that the rear tread wore slightly more on the left than the right. However, I'm sure that's me -- I'm more aggressive in left turns...

The Pirelli GT's look good, however, I'll give them a couple of years to see more reviews, and see if that accelerated wear towards the end of their life is commonplace. The PR2's have been out for quite a while, and are proven.

Alex6

Well, slept on it... and I think I'll stick with the Michelin PR2's. They've been fabulous all around: longevity, grip, wet and dry, and no discernible flattening, or scalloping ...
The *only* thing I've noticed, is that the rear tread wore slightly more on the left than the right. However, I'm sure that's me -- I'm more aggressive in left turns...

The Pirelli GT's look good, however, I'll give them a couple of years to see more reviews, and see if that accelerated wear towards the end of their life is commonplace. The PR2's have been out for quite a while, and are proven.
You are not alone on this, the guy who changed my tires (from stock B21 to the Angels GT) said it is very common not only for the street riders but also the trackers as well... My guess the opposite will be true for the riders in the UK, NZ, Aus etc.

BKP

You are not alone on this, the guy who changed my tires (from stock B21 to the Angels GT) said it is very common not only for the street riders but also the trackers as well... My guess the opposite will be true for the riders in the UK, NZ, Aus etc.
No kidding. I can see it for trackers, but surprised to hear the same about street riders. I guess the softer compound on the sides of the 2-compound tires makes it that much more noticeable.

jearnshaw

Well I cannot answer for the rear tire but as for the front there is over 3k miles on it and it still looks as new as the day it was installed.

Funkmaxtor

I ran a set of Angel STs last year and loved them. I was disappointed to find out that the GT replaced the ST. So I reluctantly bought a pair of the GTs this year. I couldn't be happier! I push pretty hard in the corners (dragging knee) and these tires hold up really well. After 5K I am starting to notice a slight bit of cupping on the front tire but I have to admit that I have never had a tire that didn't cup. They handle great in the rain. I was on a trip this summer and it down poured for hours. There was enough water on the road that it was inside the plastics while going down the road, leaving a wake behind me that someone could have tubed across. Still no issue with the tire.

I will keep buying the Pirelli Angel GT!

Oh as for the quick wear after the wear bars, this is a relatively thin tire so that is to be expected. The tread is cut deep into the overall thickness of the tire. Keep and eye on the wear bars on the tire and you will be okay. The wear bars are there for that reason!

kvc25

Welp. Got my first flat tire today on the bike. Ran over a tiny metal shard. Less than 1500 miles on the Pirelli GTs since I switched from the stock bridgestones too. Such BS. I hate city street driving. So much debris everywhere.