Opinion seeked for wiring accesories

Rhinotjv

First off I will start by saying I used the search and I still have some questions. I am a noob to electrical projects, but after getting a marthy viper setup and wiring the pcv I got a boost of confidence.

So my next project is to wire a distribution block for my gps, phone charger, heated grips, hid retrofit, pcv, and whatever else might come down the road. I started looking for a single charger port for my gps and snowballed from there. While searching I came across this:
.: Distribution Block / Powered Relay | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

That was gonna be my road map for my project until I continued searching and found these:
PC-8
FUZEBLOCKS.COM

I love the sexiness of these streamlined units but I don't know if the cost is worth the final product (the cheap option being around $25 and the others around $100). Also is there an advantage to having a fuse for each connection in the box, or are the wires in the canyon chasers setup assumed to be inline fuses? How do you know what amp fuse to use for each accessory? Can the electrical system handle running that many things at once?

I know that's alot of questions at once but any help, experience, opinions, pics, or diagrams would be much appreciated.

Nyuu

Stick with Canyon Chasers walkthrough. That's the exact project I'm doing tomorrow. It's pointless to do the 100$ option when there's virtually no added benefits compared to the 25$ option. As well as it's probably more complicated. Just put a fuse right after the battery and you shouldn't have a problem. I'm doing a 30 amp fuse.

Rhinotjv

Good morning Bump

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rhinotjv

I think I'm going to head down to my local west marine shop and see what they have, I found some pretty helpful stuff on the FZ6 site. I will give it a go and post pics to help anyone else wanting to do this.

Nyuu

Are you going the cheaper way? If so, pics would be awesome.

Sent from your future self, telling you to enslave Earth via Tapatalk

spider2k

Elite Member

Nyuu

Yea failed, meant twenty. Read the other thread wrong.

Sent from your future self, telling you to enslave Earth via Tapatalk

Rhinotjv

Ok so here is what I ended up with after all day of tracking down parts and taking my time. Much thanks to BuffaloJump for the phone a friend.

This was my haul from my shopping trip. I didnt end up using the 10 gauge wire and I went back for some velcro strips. I also used connectors and some wire i already had.

I pretty much followed the canyon chasers diagram with the exception of the distribution block that I have is oriented different. You will see in the pics that the left half of the block is my negative with the jumper inserted to connect the whole left side. The whole right side is my positive. The relay I got from radio shack was marked differently than in the diagram also, but the packaging explained it well enough.

I mounted my block and relay on the "driver side" on the inside of the fairing just underneath the top dash panel. I stuck it to the side with velcro strips. The only real tricky part for me was finding the correct wire to use as the switch on the relay, that's where my phone a friend came in. BuffaloJump has a full wiring diagram on his computer and advised me which to use. Since I have everything in the front of the bike I wanted to tap into something close. I ended up tapping into the instrument panel backlight which is on with the key as needed. It is a red wire with a white stripe that I found following the wires down from the dash going into a wiring harness below and to the right of the ignition.

I hope this helps anyone needing it. The picture angle was a little bit funky.

6R Blackout

Looks good. I think you did a great job on it. You should be fine.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Rhinotjv

Nicely done. That's an interesting place to put it. I used that same circuit bar and jumper strip, and also have the left side as my (-) and right side as my (+), but I put it all under the passenger seat right by the tail light.
I thought about putting it back there too but then I started thinking about all the wire I would have to run from one end of the bike to the other.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

DakinechicK

I have no idea what this thread is about and I have no interest in reading it, SO, I'm just going to smile and nod.

:postwhore:

Rhinotjv

Since most everything is designed to run to the battery anyway, it's only another foot or so away from that, so I figured it wouldn't be too big of an issue. And so far it hasn't been, especially since one of the things I run to it is my heated vest, which wouldn't reach up to the spot in the front there.
True, do you still have your tool bag back there too?

Rhinotjv

I have no idea what this thread is about and I have no interest in reading it, SO, I'm just going to smile and nod.

:postwhore:
Smile on! Lol