Noticeable Clicking sound

ChazSegrest

i have an 09 FZ6R, bought it with under 5000k miles about two years ago, since then i've put 11k on it. I have ridden it almost every day since i got it and never noticed until recently that when i accelerate from a dead stop my bike makes a clicking sound, its usually just about 3 clicks then goes away until i stop and start again. It almost sounds like its coming from the chain area but i'm not 100% sure, nothing feels different, and the chain is in pretty good condition for having 16k miles on it, i'm just slightly concerned is all, any help would be appreciated.
btw, as a side note, i searched through the previous threads and none of the other problems sounded like what i'm hearing

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

jammer

+1 I was thinking sprocket since the chain seemed in good shape.

ChazSegrest

both sprockets are in relatively good condition, no missing teeth, no ground down teeth, etc, we checked all that first. There's no different feeling like its slipping or anything, and like i said before, it only happens from a dead stop and then no matter how hard i accelerate its the same 3 or so consistent clicks. The chain tension is also right, it got way to loose at one point awhile back and so we tightened it to correct specs and when we checked after first hearing the sound it is still in the optimal range of slack. it also doesn't make the sound when up on the center stand, so if there isn't weight on the back wheel it doesn't do it

Last edited:

5exi

If your bike has ABS , it could be your ABS unit your hearing
They do make a sound like a clicking noise which is normal.
Just a thought

ChazSegrest

nope, no ABS, i've thought it could be the Cam Chain Tensioner because it only clicks as i get rolling but once it's clicked its three times it doesn't do it anymore while i'm riding until i stop again.

Reaver

i have an 09 FZ6R, bought it with under 5000k miles about two years ago, since then i've put 11k on it. I have ridden it almost every day since i got it and never noticed until recently that when i accelerate from a dead stop my bike makes a clicking sound, its usually just about 3 clicks then goes away until i stop and start again. It almost sounds like its coming from the chain area but i'm not 100% sure, nothing feels different, and the chain is in pretty good condition for having 16k miles on it, i'm just slightly concerned is all, any help would be appreciated.
btw, as a side note, i searched through the previous threads and none of the other problems sounded like what i'm hearing
OP I had the same issue less than 15k in.
I asked the shop when I was getting her serviced and they said something ( If I recall correctly ) to do with your exhaust. I asked if it was fatal and dude said no it happens all the time. Problem is it would be more of a hassle and expense to pay for it to get fixed than its worth simply because there's no negative effect.
I wish I could remember exactly what he said but from your post is sounds exactly like what I was going through.
RvR

thecdn

Have you checked for chain stretch (distance between links)? I'm new to the FZ6R world but that seems like a lot of miles on a chain for a sporty bike.

ChazSegrest

btw, as a side note, it doesn't make the sound if i go from a stop on top of a hill and just start going down it w/o any throttle applied but with the bike on, so its not chain or sprockets. that exhaust thing might be it, i seem to notice it between 4k and 5k rmp upon first acceleration, i'm just upset because this thing has been a tank for me and i have kept up with oil changes and chain cleanings and all the standard stuff

Reaver

btw, as a side note, it doesn't make the sound if i go from a stop on top of a hill and just start going down it w/o any throttle applied but with the bike on, so its not chain or sprockets. that exhaust thing might be it, i seem to notice it between 4k and 5k rmp upon first acceleration, i'm just upset because this thing has been a tank for me and i have kept up with oil changes and chain cleanings and all the standard stuff
Dude this is the exact same situation I was/am facing.

ChazSegrest

Dude this is the exact same situation I was/am facing.
Cool, thanks, hopefully that's it and it's nothing to worry about, I think I'll have a buddy of mine who workes at a shop come and check it out/listen but you've made me feel a lot better about it

Rockmiller

I have the same thing happening!!!

God, I hope it is it only an exhaust issue. I had this start on my bike last year at about 13k miles. I adjusted my chain tension and it seemed to go away for about a month and then started again. I just started riding my bike this past week this year and it is back. It is enough that I can feel it when I take off from a stop. Almost like bad bearings or the chain is slipping. I have inspected my sprocket and check the chain tension to no avail. Makes me a bit nervous, I might take mine in to have a shop check it out. Seems to get worse when I have been riding for a bit. Anyone else have info from their respective shops on this issue?