No gloves and no jacket but riding in fog? NOT FUN!, TRUST ME!

jocampo

Never "had the pleasure" before :) ... and happened today, while riding my new Bonnie. Let me tell you this... it was not fun!

I usually watch the news early morning, just to validate weather and see if I should use my Speed6 instead. The news did not mention anything about rain, but fog. However, the weather girl said was going to be way north. Wrong!!! ... it was even close to city. Or... I just misunderstood her comment.

Man! ... I had no jacket, no gloves (yeah, I know, I know) but a new green neon Helmet (Scorpion, ugly as hell) and that was it.

The 1st bad stuff is the visor started to get foggy, not too bad, but a little bit. And all of the sudden, before entering on 45 North, the visibility went down to probably 2 miles or so. I hate that, not because I can't see, but because I was afraid of any jerk behind me, driving like crazy, that could hit me and crash the bike (or send me with The Panchos, like we say in spanish)

The ugliest part that never experienced before (maybe because had my gloves) was the condensantion. The levers were soak wet, slippery. I had problems using the clutch and was not comfortable to grab.

I made it, at work right now, but last 10 miles of my commute, I took the feeder, not 45 North. Still was afraid of any jerk behind me that could not see me, but I thought I was safer.

Wanted to share this ugly experience and the horrible mistake of riding without reflective jacket and gloves. I reallly need to get new pair of gloves; the ones I had desintegrated themselves during my accident. The jacket looks ok though, and it is reflective, a nice one.

Ride safe!

bmw675

Glad to hear you 'learned' a lesson an easy way.

Sometimes gear is more than just protection, this being a good example.

The weather reports were messed up here on monday too :mad:. They said the storm would be rolling in by the afternoon, so I took off on a 2.5 hour ride b/c I needed to be somewhere. Seeing green a sky and lightening didn't end well. I tried to skirt it heading south and i made it 90 miles but the last 40 didn't end well.

My leather jacket was perforated, so I still got blasted, but it dried out much easier than my dainese gloves. those took over a day with a fan blowing on them.

btw, when did you get the bonnie?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

jocampo

Yeah, this morning not having a jacket was stupid. It really increases visibility. That was my main concern.

I bought the Boneville SE past weekend. Wife is still mad. But I truly love riding. I understand, the risks, but this is my only hobby.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII via Tapatalk.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

jocampo

Being that it is your only hobby, and your wife is already against it, AND your previous experience.... how do you justify not going out with a jacket and gloves EVERYTIME you ride?

Remember it's not about YOU, it's about the other people on the road.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but experience, and the soreness of the subject with your wife... the smart thing IMO is to wear the gear all the time, regardless of what the weather girl says.
While my previous accident WAS NOT my fault, and I was fully protected (that's why I'm alive and typing here) this morning was not justified, and I'm not going to.

You are right. And that's why I'm also sharing the experience and mistake with forum members, so others won't repeat.

Wasn't wearing gloves because I just don't have a pair anymore. Planning to buy gloves today, after work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII via Tapatalk.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member