NH to MI starts tomorrow!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
The '09 FZ1 and '09 FZ6R are being loaded with luggage tonight...

My wife and I are taking the bikes to Michigan next week. We're going to visit my best friend from the Army who also was our Best Man at our wedding. We've never done a trip this long before but we've been doing a lot of 100 - 300 mile days to warm up to the idea.

Sept 4th, we will leave NH and strike out for upstate NY. We'll be stopping for the night in Webster.

Sept 5th, we leave in the morning and head through Canada, stopping at Niagara Falls on the Canadian side for some pics and a break. We'll be coming into Michigan via Port Huron and our friend lives about 25 miles beyond.

While there for the week, we have no idea where we might be going. Most of this is to relax and catch up with him and his wife as it has been a couple years. I do know we'll be taking one day to hit Frankenmuth where I'm sure stuff will be bought and shipped to NH and Labor Day is a Ren Faire.

Our return will be Sept 12th from MI to the Three Rivers/Liverpool area where we will stop for the night. Sunday, Sept 13th, we'll be making the last leg of the journey back home to NH.

The whole trip is planned with no major highways and no tolls except the ones we cannot avoid (in Canada). I hope to get some pics as we stop to stretch and hydrate once in a while. We're packing light and taking no laptops, etc.

So, I'll be offline for most if not all of that week of Labor Day. I'm going to take mental notes along the way and will report on the whole trip when we return.

I hope the Scala Q2 Multisets hold up for this trip!

I'll have very limited access to Internet for the week, but I'll try and get a moment to post when we've made it to MI safely and let you know how her FZ6R held up.

Wish us luck and an uneventful trip! :D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like it will be an awesome trip!! Let us know how many miles the whole trip ends up being. How did you pack all your stuff (i.e. what bags are you using)?

If you don't want to rely on your mental notes, actually pack a small pad of paper and a pen to keep a journal as you make the trip. When you stop for fuel, to take pictures, hydrate, etc. you could jot down your thoughts then instead of trying to recount the whole trip at once from memory (not that I'm suggesting you have a bad memory, lol).

Have a great time and BE SAFE!!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Thank you Robert! I'm actually going to use my BB and take voice notes. :D It will be quick and easy to note things.

As for packing, we both have the Cortech Sport saddle bags. Then I bought a two-piece waterproof (rectangular) dufflebag set. I'll be carrying the larger one strapped onto the seat and across the saddle bags and whe will carry the smaller duffle the same way. We've got most stuff also packed inside ziplocks and larger plastic bags to be double sure! :D

We'll be guided by my RAM (Aquabox) mounted Nuvi 765T GPS which I pre-prgrammed with the route to avoid as many Interstates and tolls as possible. We'll be cutting through Canada (passports on hand!) and entering Michigan in Port Huron.

We are taking two days each way, staying at the halfway point each time. We used out Marriott Rewards points for the overnights so it didn't cost a dime.

I will have a full compliment of tools with me that will satisfy most repairs that includes a 12V Slime Air Compressor, digital tire gauge tubeless motorcycle repair kit, chain lube, flashlight, emergency beacon, metric allens on a keyring, 10, 12, 14 and 17 mm sockets and small ratchet. Zip ties, duct tape.... some others I forget...

So long as we can dodge all the idiot cagers, I think it will be a fantastic experience. My wife has never been on this long of a bike trip. However, it was she who wanted to take the bikes! :D She's a keeper!

I'll do my best to let everyone on the three forums know we're safe and having a blast!

Take care all! Ride safe this Labor Day weekend!

Manna69247

Hope I'm not to late, but anyway. Enjoy and God speed!

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Hope I'm not to late, but anyway. Enjoy and God speed!
No, and thank you! I'll be online a bit tonight but tomorrow morning is an early start. :D Can't wait to go!

demon408

lucky man

ride safe and have fun, ur lucky my wife hates motorcycles. lol

OTTF

Enjoy the ride, the time together with the misses & be safe on the road.

fz6rwolf

Be safe, sounds like a great trip. Yeah you got a keeper for sure.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
We made it to Michigan at about 6pm tonight. We're visiting an old Army buddy who was our best man. We just finished a few beers, some great BBQ and homemade salads and about an hour in the hot tub. Whew!

The FZ's both did a fantastic job. It did take almost 90 minutes to get through customs in Niagara because the line was LONG! But, we got behind some locals on the highways here and was able to burn some miles at some very "good" speeds!

No incidents to speak of. No issues with the bikes and absolutely terrific weather.

Unsure where they will be taking us on bike tour from here. We're just happy to be here and relaxing!

We hope the ride back is just as great! Just shy of 800 miles to get here. WOW!

demon408

keep it up

have a safe ride , good to hear u guys are havin fun, :D

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Just a quick note... we're back! 1,629.8 miles... no incidents! Yamaha ROCKS!

I'll post some pics and a nutshell report in a day or two.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Glad your trip was a success and that you made it safely. I can't wait to see the pics!

:wav: