NeZR

Well I don't quite have a bike yet, but obviously I'm looking at a FZ6R. I've found a 2008 and a 2011. The 08 is in good shape, but I'm not a fan of the naked front end. But the only thing I'm waiting on is an insurance quote. People say it's not crazy expensive, but I've done a few online quotes and its pretty high for me for some reason. I'm 19 this is my first ever bike. I do have a SUV in my name, under the rents coverage I think. So if anybody knows of a good cheap company, let me know.
Hoping to pull the trigger next week if things go well.
Thanks!

ajskillz13

Just a little correction for you... The 2008 with the naked front is a FZ6. This is not the same bike as the 2011 FZ6R

I know it's confusing and they are similar, but it is definitely a different animal. Do some research on both to see which one fits your liking.

Check out this thread for insurance discussion on the FZ6R: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/how-much-do-you-pay-insurance-17502/

kevin8198

Elite Member

FitZ6R

Well I don't quite have a bike yet, but obviously I'm looking at a FZ6R. I've found a 2008 and a 2011. The 08 is in good shape, but I'm not a fan of the naked front end. But the only thing I'm waiting on is an insurance quote.
Hi and welcome!

That 2008 is actually an FZ6, which is a separate model from the FZ6R (introduced in 2009). The two bikes are a bit of a case of split personalities: The conservative-looking FZ6 actually has a more powerful engine, but mostly in the very high RPMs. The sportier-looking FZ6R is more of an all-around streetbike with good low-end torque.

Some FZ6 guys hated on the 6R when it came out, because they assumed it should be a higher-performance variant of the FZ6, which it isn't. Yamaha probably should have used a more distinctive name.

Insurance sucks when you're young. The only advice I can offer is that the big companies with lots of TV ads tend to be the most expensive. Call around to to some no-name local agents, and see if your dealer can suggest anything. I got Rider insurance through my dealer for $91 / year, but then again, I had a pet dinosaur when I was your age.

iSpoolin

IDK if Rider insurance is offered in your state, but if they are go through them. My insurance was 175$ for a YEAR!

Welcome to the site :)

Detrich

Yamaha's naming conventions are a bit wack... i think the FZ6 has more in common with the R6, and the FZ1 has more in common with the R1... that is, they are more like upright, no-fairing'd, touring-tuned versions of the YZF's as opposed to the FZ's.

NeZR

yea I knew the 08 wasn't technically an fz6r, but for typing purposing I figured you'd understand haha. I never thought about local agents, most of the local ones around here actually represent for the big companies so it'd probably be the same high price.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member