New tires + gravel driveway= bad idea?

iSpoolin

Alright guys so here's the story.

This winter I stored my bike at my moms house. She lives on a hill, and the driveway is dirt/gravel.

I just put on a new set of Dunlop Q2's. Now i'm thinking it may not have been the best ideas since new tires are so slick. I usually just walk the bike down it so I don't think it'll be a huge deal, i'm just checking to see if anybody has had any experience with this kind of ordeal?

JSP

Super Moderator
Will be fine. Thats actually the first thing I do when I get new tires is take it in dirt/gravel to help get the oils/shine off of them. :D

iSpoolin

Will be fine. Thats actually the first thing I do when I get new tires is take it in dirt/gravel to help get the oils/shine off of them. :D
Well then, maybe I need to just go up and down it repeatedly to break in the new tires? :rolleyes: jk.

Thanks for the response Jay.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Chevyfazer

The only way gravel can hurt your tires is if you goose it spinning your tire in the gravel, it can and will put nice little cuts in your tread, I know from experience lol but luckily I run cheep tires because I abuse the piss out of them

Spunky99

LOL....

Those tires are so freaking sticky that they pick up rock bits like crazy.
I rolled the bike out of the garage and back in about 6 feet and my tires were covered in rock bits like the tires were covered in tar.

Slick they sure ain't.....:D

txjames

Elite Member

Sparkxx1

I'm sure there are going to be some strong feelings on this "I had a friend who...." or "I saw a video on youtube...", but...

I'm really thinking this thing about new tire slickness is mostly myth. You know, like some "experienced" guys gets new tires and gets carried away pulling out of the dealer. Rather than blaming a spinout/highside on skill/judgement, it's easier to blame the tires.

Tire's aren't made like they were years ago. There are no mold-release agents used on motorcycle tires. Let me put it this way... new tires don't have a warning label. In our litigious society, I would have expected there to have been a lawsuit and a subsequent warning label if there really was a new-tire slickness issue.

When I bought my FZ6R (new), I rode it home at night in light rain on wet roads. Tires were not slick.
Most certainly not a myth, companies use products on the tire to make sure they don't dry out or otherwise break down while being stored. Some tires might go months without being sold so the heating and cooling can wear them down. If you take a look at the sides of your tire you can see a strip of film on both sides where you haven't use tread. That part will still be slick compared to the center of your tire.

Chevyfazer

I'm sure there are going to be some strong feelings on this "I had a friend who...." or "I saw a video on youtube...", but...

I'm really thinking this thing about new tire slickness is mostly myth. You know, like some "experienced" guys gets new tires and gets carried away pulling out of the dealer. Rather than blaming a spinout/highside on skill/judgement, it's easier to blame the tires.

Tire's aren't made like they were years ago. There are no mold-release agents used on motorcycle tires. Let me put it this way... new tires don't have a warning label. In our litigious society, I would have expected there to have been a lawsuit and a subsequent warning label if there really was a new-tire slickness issue.

When I bought my FZ6R (new), I rode it home at night in light rain on wet roads. Tires were not slick.
If you keep believing that you will end up in the dirt the first time you try to push your bike hard on some new tires. It's certainly not a myth or old wise tail, and they don't put warnings on them because as long as you don't push it hard on fresh tires you will be fine. But if you don't believe it then go to a place that has some new tires and just rub your hand on them and feel how slick they are, then feel your tire on your bike, BIG difference!!! And that slickness don't just magically go away once they are mounted on your bike.

iSpoolin

If you keep believing that you will end up in the dirt the first time you try to push your bike hard on some new tires. It's certainly not a myth or old wise tail, and they don't put warnings on them because as long as you don't push it hard on fresh tires you will be fine. But if you don't believe it then go to a place that has some new tires and just rub your hand on them and feel how slick they are, then feel your tire on your bike, BIG difference!!! And that slickness don't just magically go away once they are mounted on your bike.
He's correct in the fact that they don't use the mold releasing agents anymore. However they still put a coat of some form of wax on the tires. Which is very slick indeed.

Also, the whole scrubbing in tires thing isn't JUST for the waxy residue, it's for the fact that they say it takes a few miles to truly have the tire seated on the wheel as well.

Chevyfazer

He's correct in the fact that they don't use the mold releasing agents anymore. However they still put a coat of some form of wax on the tires. Which is very slick indeed.

Also, the whole scrubbing in tires thing isn't JUST for the waxy residue, it's for the fact that they say it takes a few miles to truly have the tire seated on the wheel as well.
I think some manufactures still do on some of their tires but yes most of them don't I was mainly getting at not believing that new tires are slick in general, and pretty much thinking that you can put some new rubber on and go hit up deals gap with no issues.

Spunky99

Here is an interesting development....

So I put the Dunlop Q2 tires on my bike and had 38 rear and 36 front psi.
Really felt sticky but I rode it like it was slick as snot and careful to 66 miles of which 50 were freeway. I bumped the pressure to 40 rear and 38 front and boy o' boy did they get slick.

So I'm probably going to stay on track with careful break in of the tires until at least 100 miles but I'm going to run them at 38/36 from now on.

txjames

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Did you read the line where he said " even with the tire on the warmer all the time it still takes about 2 good laps to get to the good compound"

In that quote he is talking about a soft compound race tire, and he clearly is saying that the tire has better traction after the first 2 laps even with the tire up to temp from the start. Now if it takes 2 laps around your average track on a soft race tire where you would be lucky to get 300miles on a set, what do you think that translates too on a street tire while not pushing half as hard as pro riders?

Obviously you are not going to change your mind, just be smart about a new set of tires and how hard you ride on them. And obviously you are a new rider and have not yet learned the limits of your bike, tires, or yourself yet and it will come in due time, just don't learn the hard way...

Last edited: