cbzdel

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I just picked up black a 2009 FZ6R yesterday. Here is a pic :)

Its been my first street bike, I have spent the past 8 months or so riding a 2009 Honda Ruckus, and this FZ6R is a big change. For example, when I ride the Ruckus I get home and hop off it at the garage and walk it in, great no problems. I ride the FZ6R home and hop off of it to push it in the garage and I dont realize how heavy it is!!! I swing my leg over the back and the bike just tips over onto me hahah!! Mistake learned, no damage other than a little paint scratch on the side of the engine. Funny thing is the sales man told me I would drop it within in the first few days because I am used to the light weight ruckus haha!! Now I know to put the kickstand down before I hop off lol....

Anyways, nice to meet all of you and I hope this place gains some popularity as the bike sells more :thumbup:

J

jtarkany

:welcome:
Enjoy and Ride Safe.

FYI - This forum has a lot of great info, the best way to find information is to begin with the SEARCH feature on the top right, if you don't find the answer there, then feel free to start a new thread asking your question :thumbup:.

S

skyjake

Congrats on your new purchase. Yes, that is a big change.

I recommend taking an MSF Course if you haven't already, invest in some good riding gear, and just take it easy. Oh, I would try and not push your bike if you can help from doing so. You increase the chance of dropping it.

Again, congrats. That is a sharp looking bike.

MNDZA

Congrats! Good choice with the color.

fz6rwolf

Congrats, you'll enjoy it. Oh, and the Motorcycle safety course of course.

B

bigdog9191999

congrats on getting a bike... looks very good btw. most of the r's that i see around here are not all that great looking

cbzdel

Searching?? Whats that.. J/K I have been around forums for a long time, and even have modded a few of them, so I know how it all works...

I am taking the MSF class the second week of June, I bought the bike early to get some practice so I didnt look like an idiot there haha.. But I am going to get my permit tomorrow so I can legally ride it before taking the MSF class. Right now I am just riding around my driveway/block (I had the bike delivered as well)

As for mods, I ordered the rear seat cowl when I got the bike, it should be here in a few days. And I just ordered a set of the no-cut frame sliders, I found them on a site for like $107 with free shipping and it looked like a good deal.

There is not much else I want to do to the bike other than lighting mods, and maybe a tinted windshield. I know the bike is new so I am waiting more more parts to come out, but I would like a smoked integrated led tail light, flush mount smoked front led blinkers, and an 6000k-8000k HID headlight. And a fender eliminator, but I dont really like the kits I have seen so far..

Here is a question for everyone, I know I will probably learn the answer soon enough but.. How do I know what gear I am in? 1st is easy enough, but after that like I shift up and I feel the shift click twice, easy enough it clicked twice because it skipped neutral.. But if I am in 2nd, and I upshift, and it clicks twice, does that mean its in 3rd or 4th?? Its just hard to figure this out, but I know I am a newbie with the manual bike transmission so I will get it in time..

B

bradms38

Nice choice on the color. I saw all the FZ6R colors at the dealer and thought the black was the sharpest. Prior to buying my FZ6 I owned a Ninja 250 as a first bike. I encountered the same shifting dilemma when I started, losing track of the gear. I had my dealer install a digital gear indicator and mounted it at the inside bottom of the windscreen. Now I easily know what gear I am in at a glance and can concentrate more on the ride instead of mentally keeping track of what gear I may be in. I'll never own another bike without this mod, once you get one installed you'll be glad you did.

Congratz, same as mine and don't feel bad I dropped mines on the first day I got it, with only 15 miles on it. Just my left turn signal broke off but I managed to get it back on. A few scratches on the left fairing and left engine cover is all. You can't see it unless I point it out to you so it's not bad at all. Ride safe my friend.

B

blaxx

Wecome to the club! Seems the black one is popular, I got one myself!

At first I was a bit confused keeping track of what gear I was in (I'm a new rider myself), and was considering getting the gear indicator, but now that I am getting the hang of riding, keeping track of what gear I am in does not seem that much of a issue anymore.

I guess what I am trying to say, is give yourself some time getting used to riding the bike, and if you still are having difficulty keeping track of your gear, then install the indicator. You may find after a while, you will not have a problem. I know in my situation there was a lot going on at once learning the bike, but after a couple of weeks, things like feeling for what gear I was in came more naturally (among other things), so I am glad I did not buy the indicator, really don't need it, more funds availible for other stuff (like exhaust :) ).

Good luck, and have fun!

M

manas12

Here is a question for everyone, I know I will probably learn the answer soon enough but.. How do I know what gear I am in? 1st is easy enough, but after that like I shift up and I feel the shift click twice, easy enough it clicked twice because it skipped neutral.. But if I am in 2nd, and I upshift, and it clicks twice, does that mean its in 3rd or 4th?? Its just hard to figure this out, but I know I am a newbie with the manual bike transmission so I will get it in time..
Congratulations on the new bike! It looks really sharp. As for this question, there is no "way" of figuring out what gear you are in unless you have a gear indicator installed.

It all comes down to listening the tone of the engine and looking at the tach in your display and the speed your going at. After you spend some more time on the bike and start understanding the engine tone, it will come naturally. I still look for a 7th gear some times on my FZ but besides that I have no trouble of figuring out what gear I am in and what gear I want to be in.

Again, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the bike! Oh and yes, do keep it upright :thumbup:

S

smokenu

:welcome: great bike, hopefully the sun stays out long enough for you to enjoy it, lol

O-turn

Partier
Searching?? Whats that.. J/K I have been around forums for a long time, and even have modded a few of them, so I know how it all works...

I am taking the MSF class the second week of June, I bought the bike early to get some practice so I didnt look like an idiot there haha.. But I am going to get my permit tomorrow so I can legally ride it before taking the MSF class. Right now I am just riding around my driveway/block (I had the bike delivered as well)

As for mods, I ordered the rear seat cowl when I got the bike, it should be here in a few days. And I just ordered a set of the no-cut frame sliders, I found them on a site for like $107 with free shipping and it looked like a good deal.

There is not much else I want to do to the bike other than lighting mods, and maybe a tinted windshield. I know the bike is new so I am waiting more more parts to come out, but I would like a smoked integrated led tail light, flush mount smoked front led blinkers, and an 6000k-8000k HID headlight. And a fender eliminator, but I dont really like the kits I have seen so far..

Thats exactly what I did. Bought my bike a month ahead of my course, rode around my neighborhood and got used to the bike so I was focused on learning in the MSF and not falling like 2-3 people did in my class! Welcome to the "r" section!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats and welcome. You are going to love the bike! :thumbup:

GoGreen09

Congrats on the sweet bike Chris! The FZ6R is my very first bike too. Shifting and knowing which gear took about a week for me to get used to. At first I kept thinking that the gear indicator would be nice to have, but I paid attention to the tach and speed and I was glad I didn't shell out the $$$ for the gear indicator. I do wish that I spent the extra money for some frame sliders. I dropped the bike inside the freakin garage when I was moving it. No major damage, just scuffs on the handlebar end and turn signal.

Be Safe!

cbzdel

I ordered my sliders from SoloMoto because it was the cheapest place I find and they told me they were in stock when I ordered them and told me they would be at my door in 3-5 days.. I get a email 3 days after I order and they tell me they are not in stock and it will be a week or two!!!!!!! I tell them I will order from somewhere else if they dont ship within a week..They tell me there is no point because its a brand new part and no one has them in stock yet.. really?? I seem them on bikes here, so did the members here get the prototypes or something haha!