New guy on the block

Mystery16

Hey everyone,
Just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. Although I do not have a FZ6R to call my own, I will by buying one in June of the coming year. Why the wait you ask? I live about 600 miles away from my home at my college campus, and want to wait until I can break in my bike over the summer and get comfortable riding before I have to commute that kind of distance.

About me: I have no on the street riding experience, and my off-road experience is limited to borrowing a friend's modified 150 dirtbike two or three times. Other than that, I am a college student presently.

Here's to a long and fruitful relationship.
Keep riding!
:cool:

b_who

:welcome: Welcome to the forum
this forum will give u tons of help once u get your bike, it sure helped me a lot as i am also a beginner and only had my bike for a month now.

oh yea one good tip use the search bar almost everything has bin discussed with peoples experience put into their answers which you can greatly benefit from.

enjoy and be safe, theres a lotttt of bad drivers out there haha

stuna

well if theirs no experience . you better practice were there's little traffic . and drive like there all out to get you :spank:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

b_who

Ohhh ur right Uno brain fart on my part haha
Just google MSF and go2 there website and find a class to take the basic class and take the course. once u do that u jus need to take a written test from the dmv and taa daaa u got your license. They'll teach you the basics and it also gets you a discount on your insurence from 5% to 25% depending on the company (that is if haven't gotten your license yet)

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Mystery16

Wow, you guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome! I did forget to mention, that I've already taken the MSF beginner training course and have had my M1 license for a few months now. If only I had a bike to use... :(

Man, that trip to the DMV took forever....

creggur

Congrats on getting your license, and you've picked a fine machine to ride! Take it easy at first, although the FZ6R gets labeled as a 'beginner bike' it's anything but. There's plenty of juice there to get you in trouble before you know it.

Stay safe and let us know when you get your new ride. And remember, without pictures it didn't happen!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Mystery16

Yeah, I've talked with a local dealer back home and they said that they will have plenty of stock at some kind of a sale price right around the end of May / beginning of June.

Side note - if anyone knows where I might be able to find a store selling motorcycle gear in Northern California around Sacramento do tell! I don't really want to start ordering a bunch of gear until I get fitted for size at least once in store. Thanks, and safe riding!

Last edited:

creggur

That's the real beauty of the FZ6R... Yes, it has a bit more power, but the delivery of said power is where Yamaha got this one just right. As long as you can control your right wrist you will be fine.

It's linear, meaning, unlike the Super-Sport 600s it doesn't blast off like a surface-to-air missile above 7k RPM. It's just a nice steady, strong pull from idle to redline, which actually makes it more enjoyable to ride 99% of the time. Sure, it's fun to climb on an asphalt missile and feel the front wheel get light at 100mph going into 3rd gear, but really...for everyday riding it's much more enjoyable to have ample power on tap anywhere in the rev-range and have that power transferred to the back tire with some sanity.

I'm the one that said it's a misnomer to label the FZ6R as a 'beginner bike' and I stand by that. But it doesn't mean you can't learn on it - it's all about a little self control - and realizing your own limitations. It's a great all-arounder that you can learn and build your skills on, and still be having fun on years into your riding career if you so choose.

Heck, I've got an FZ6R (my wife's) a Honda VFR800 (mine) and a CBR1000RR (my best friend's) at my disposal and can have just as much fun on any of these bikes. Even after 25 years of street riding, mostly on sport bikes, I take the FZ6R out sometimes just for kicks - it's comfortable, capable, flickable, and forgiving all at the same time. Again, a great all-around motorcycle...

Grayce

Side note - if anyone knows where I might be able to find a store selling motorcycle gear in Northern California around Sacramento do tell! I don't really want to start ordering a bunch of gear until I get fitted for size at least once in store. Thanks, and safe riding![/QUOTE]

Welcome!!! We just found Cycle Gear at 5400 Date Ave in Sacramento, just off the Madison (68?) Exit. Large selection of gear, parts, etc. They are definitely ready for the holiday season! Their prices in-store are comparable to a lot of places on line and it's nice to be able to try before you buy. Know that the sizing for all the favorite lines is very different. For me, what's a small in one brand is a large in another. Maybe it's just women's "vanity sizing" though. Enjoy!

Superzoom

I was wondering, since you guys have all been really good about giving good feedback :D, what your opinion is on the conundrum I am having. I, for a few months, was planning on buying a Suzuki GS500F. However, after doing quite a bit of research, I decided to buy a FZ6R instead. Among the many reasons is I thought the little bit of extra power would be welcome for that long commute I was talking about (6 hours each way :( ), it has a 160 rear tire than the gs500f's 130, and, seeing as I am a pretty big guy, would be more comfortable learning and riding on seeing as the gs500's front forks are notorious for bottoming out under hard braking even for average users. I know the extra power is a little daunting for myself, but really I have the whole summer to get accustomed to riding around town and a big parking lot to practice maneuvers to my heart's content. Finally, while I can afford the FZ6R no problem, I can't really afford or justify reselling the gs500f after a while if I decide that the things mentioned above are problem enough to warrant trading in.
Hi Mystery,

When I was looking for a bike this year to replace my last bike (hit a deer!), I came across a used GS500 in perfect, almost unused condition. I did a lot of research and it seemed like a solid bike. But then I learned about the FZ6R and read a lot of reviews on it. From what I've read, and from what I now know, having owned the FZ6R one season, the FZ6R is superior in every single way compared to the GS500. The only possible reasons you'd want to choose the GS500 over the FZ6R are for lower price, lower insurance, and personal styling preference.

You can't even argue that the FZ6R has too much power for a beginner. It's only slightly more powerful than the GS500, and as someone else mentioned, the power delivery is very smooth and linear. Just keep the rpm's under 4000, and the bike will be a beginner-friendly kitten. Once you're experienced, you can take it over 6000 rpm's and release the tiger.

I think the suspension on the FZ6R should be adequate for your size. I've done a lot of two-up riding on mine, and it handles 300+ pounds just fine.

One last thing... I would take the FZ6R over the GS500 for fuel injection alone. Too many memories of trying to start carbed bikes every spring. Crank, crank, crank... click... click... dead battery. Plus the GS500 has a very long warm up period.

Detrich