New guy from OZ with some Qs

bd-850

Hello Guys.

New to the forum, been looking around for a few hours, looks like a bunch of nice guys and girls here.

well at the moment im riding a old 73 Honda XL175, got it for free to learn on so i cant complain.

i live in Australia, and have only recently got my Ls and just about to go for my Ps and looking at a few bikes, the Ninja 250 is looking good only due to price, but im thinking if i get a bigger 600cc LAMs bike once i get off my Ps i can unrestrict the bike and hopefully i will be happy :p

the bigger bikes im looking at are the:
Hyosung 650
Ninja 650RL
and the Yama FZ6R.

if anyone has had the other bikes what are your thoughts compaired against the Yama?

Is there any diffrence between the XJ6 Diversion F and the FZ6R, (for mods).

Hope to buy a bike soon

Cheers
Ben

husker525

Welcome to the site! Since this is an FZ6R site, I think most people will be biased and say the FZ6R is the way to go!! LOL As far as your choices go, I think the Kawi may actually beat the FZ6R in performance, but just slightly. Ergonomically speaking, the FZ6R is much more comfortable for me to ride than the Kawi. I have no opinions or information on the Hyosung.

The XJ6 Diversion questions would be better answered by a non Yank such as myself, since this is more of a European model and version of our FZ6R.

bd-850

Thanks, yeah i know its pretty stupid asking what other model bikes are like, im a specific car forum (CJ lancer) and we get people asking what better, the Lancer or (other car), of course we say the Lancer :p

Speed is no huge issue for me, the only reason im looking at the bigger bikes is because im 6foot and around 100kg, and where i live (small country town) i often go visit family and the requires sitting on about 100-110km/h (legally :p) and the 250s are just screaming their tits off at this speed, and it becomes unsafe if you have to overtake because the bike just doesnt have the speed to overtake and therefor you are sitting on the wrong side of the road for a longer period of time.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bd-850

LOL, yeah your right, i love riding my bike, even though its slow and top speed of about 90-100km/h its a bike that you can thrash the crap out and stay safe(ish)

i believe forums really help sell a product, im part of a Kwaka and Hyosung forum, the Kwaka forum is ok, takes a few hours to get a reply and still not very helpful with some answers, on a Hyosung i posted there 3 days ago and still no reply.

so so far this is the best forum and really help me decide

bd-850

ok i think i can answer my own question the diffrence between in the XJ6S and the FZ6R is the seat, the XJ has one full seat and the FZ has two seats, XJ has half fairing or naked, FZ has full fairing.

would that be correct? therefor engine mods would be the same ie exhaust?

ajiribarren

ok i think i can answer my own question the diffrence between in the XJ6S and the FZ6R is the seat, the XJ has one full seat and the FZ has two seats, XJ has half fairing or naked, FZ has full fairing.

would that be correct? therefor engine mods would be the same ie exhaust?
Hey mate welcome. Basically yes, the difference is the seat and also the fairing. The fairing in the XJ6 is different (no air scoops) than the FZ6R, the after-market screens for the XJ6 dont fit the FZ6R. Also,different mirrors (XJ6S are a little shorter).

All other mods should work ok. Engine wise they are the same, although the FZ6R is sold here in Oz as LAMS only.

The Hyo, Kawa and FZ6R are different beasts, it will depend on what you are looking for. The Hyo GT650R has a more aggressive riding position (clipons) and still suffers of a bad reputation in Oz, so resale will be an issue.

The Kawa and Fz6R are basically standard bikes with fairings. Both very comfortable for commuting and both more than capable of cruising at higwhay speeds (100-110 kph) with plenty of power left. I just did a quick run thru the Grand Pacific Drive and Maquarie Pass today, and my XJ6S managed everything great, very comfortably

Test drive both, and choose whichever you like the most. Both are great bikes. Stay away from the Hyo for now...

Chucker

Last edited:

rr_double_rr

I'm 6'2" and around 100 kilos and love my fizzer. I have sat on a lot of bikes, and can tell you that the seating position on the fizzer (FZ6-R) is the best that I have found while maintaining sportbike looks and performance.

You're more or less sitting comfortably, your arms are relaxed, and the legs aren't too compressed, like they would be on a supersport bike. For speed, you can lean over the tank and tuck behind that larger windscreen perfectly, and get out of the wind noise.

You can get more powerful bikes, sure, but for a daily rider or for long rides this one is hard to beat in the price point for a big guy. :steve:

bd-850

Cheers, hopefullly this weekend im going to have a look at a few bike and hopefully have a ride if they let me, coz im on my Ls

only looking at the Hyo coz of the price
Kwaka got a few mates with them
Yama well ive always liked yama

ajiribarren

Mate, my advice after reading more thoroughly your first post is to go with a full power LAMS bike, and after you finish your P's and get your unrestricted license, upgrade to whatever bike you will fancy in that moment.

Either a CB400 or a GS500 sound good to me. The reason for my advice is that probably when you finish your P's you will want to upgrade anyways to another bike that you'll fancy most. Is really unlikely that you'll want to unrestrict any of the aforementioned bikes, and either of those are really restricted in power compared to the full versions. A restricted FZ6R makes less power than a CB400 for example, and weights more. Same with the Ninjas and Hyos.

bd-850

cheers, well i sat on the Yams XJ6 and didnt feel right on it. i also sat on a Ninja 650R and the Suzuki gladius, and decided on the Ninja, just gotta wait for a few things