Neutral Shifting Issue

High Park

Wondering if anyone has come across the following issue. I have not seen it in the threads:

The Issue: my bike will not shift at all from first (or second) to neutral, just using clutch and shifter. This is a consistent feature once the bike is warmed up. It can be moved to neutral 99% of the time by blipping the throttle, clutching and shifting. The secondary fallback is the killswitch. The bike always shifts in neutral once the engine is killed. The bike is easily rideable, and, unless this gets worse, is more of an annoying quirk than insurmountable problem.

Background: It is a 2009 FZ6R, purchased new in 2010. Currently has 7500 km. This problem did not appear until around 2000km. Initially only started to happen when bike was well warmed up. Now seems to show up shortly after starting the bike. Oil changes and servicing have been conducted in accordance with manual, at my local mechanic in Toronto.

Investigations so far: When the problem first showed up in September, I took it to my local mechanic (very experienced) to have them check it was an actual flaw, and not my shifting. They found the same problem, and said take it to a Yamaha dealer, since it is under warranty. I took it to a Toronto area dealer (not the one I purchased from). The intake mechanic agreed it was a flaw. When I went to pick it up though, a different mechanic said they could not find any problem, claimed all bikes had trouble going to neutral, and suggested charging me since he couldn't find a problem. I talked him out of that one. I have ridden enough other bikes (3 + various trainers) to know a balky neutral.

Corresponded with Yamaha Canada, who suggested changing the oil in the spring (done) and giving it a chance for further break in.

Warranty is about to expire, and I am back in the area (200km from Toronto) where I bought the bike (impulse trade, good deal) on family holiday. The original dealer is looking at the bike, but hasn't found the source yet. They did acknowledge this was not shifting like it should, and are looking at the clutch. I see them next on Tuesday regarding next steps, if any.

The dealer asked if I knew of this quirk on any other 6Rs. I don't know any others, but since this site has the wealth of all 6R knowledge, I thought I would see if anyone has come across this. It may be this goes away eventually, but I would be concerned if it got worse after warranty expiry (although at least I have the issue well documented with Yamaha).

Anyway, any insights would be much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 9794

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2009 FZ6R. I haven't taken it to a shop yet because as you said a simple blip and it eases right into neutral. At first I thought it was due to my feet being big but now that someone else is having the problem I feel a bit better about it. I'm over 4,500 miles (7,242 kilometers) and although I can't remember when it actually started I do know it was after the 600mile break-in period. I have also done my 2nd oil change and I didn't notice any improvement with the issue after doing so.

Looking forward to seeing if they figure out the issue on your bike.

Deanohh

Does it go past neutral into the next gear or not shift out of the gear it is in?? Are you rolling when you can't find neutral or standing still?

I've never thought about it.... but I don't think that I ever go into neutral when I'm standing still... always rolling at least a little when I want neutral. Maybe that is subconcious because I think it will go in easier before I completely stop.

I guess i'll have to test it.

Maybe that's force of habit when I used to ride a foot clutch... you have to be in neutral by the time you stop or you can't take your foot off the clutch to hold yourself up.,, That old 4 speed always wanted to jump past neutral if you weren't moving.

I suppose that could happen if the clutch were dragging a little bit. If it was me I'd probably check the push rod setting and cable free play.... but the dealer probably already did that (should have at least).

High Park

Won't do it stopped or slowing down. Dealer did adjust the freeplay, didn't resolve it. Definitely not a big feet issue though. Mine are 9, max.:D

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Deanohh

Won't do it stopped or slowing down. Dealer did adjust the freeplay, didn't resolve it. Definitely not a big feet issue though. Mine are 9, max.:D
what about the push rod? If that is not set correctly, it won't lift the clutch plates properly..... even if the cable is set ok.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

mine does this sometimes too... but try to get up and go, and she will stop in N in a heartbeat as I rev the crap out of her.... trying to get into second

at stops.... let the bike roll back slightly and it will drop right into neutral from first or second
Same with me, I started shifting harder into second cause I feel like a dumbass rev'ing in the middle of traffic trying to go.

At a dead stop I either have to blip the throttle or roll either way a bit - it will jump through neutral straight to 2nd/1st if I just try to hold the clutch and shift while stopped. That makes me think I may be idling too low?

It's more of an annoyance right now but if it gets worse I've the the 5 year extended warranty so I'm good for a bit.

cheech

i have experienced a similar / same issue and it's not uncommon.
I have found at times that the bike will not go into any gear or neutral as though it's stuck and now to get out of this, (with the clutch in because it will still be in some gear) to roll the bike forward a little.
I used to use the switch the bike off completely (including the kill switch) until someone told me how to get out of the this. My bike is almost 2K and every so often, it happens.

Fugu

I have hit a false neutral between 5-6th or 4-5th gear a few times. I more frequently get the shifting into second gear problem hitting neutral and revving the crap out of it; the funny part is that i hear a solid clunk like i am hitting a gear. This seems to happen to me more often now. I've had the bike for a year and have 24k on it.

In reviews, reviewers have mentioned finding false neutrals on this bike.

Fizzer6R

don't know if it's similar or different, usually when this happens on dirt bikes there's a bad/bent shift fork inside the tranny

rskinz6r

i only have this prob going to N before i start the bike. It has to be rolled back just a little to go into N to start it up. Ive never started it in 1st.

Also someone else posted that they were told not to turn off the bike completely (meaning key off and kill switch). I always turn off the key and the kill switch, someone had told me the killswitch still draws power from the battery (not sure about that)

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

osprey

Subscribed

I am interested in hearing the outcome of these issues.

I had an issue that was corrected by raising the shift lever an inch that had to do with preloading preventing the bike from upshifting.

BluePill

I have the same problem. Gets worse when the engine gets hotter. Worst is stop and go traffic on a hot day. I have about 10K miles, and it has been happening since about 3K - which is when the weather started to get hot.

I've used 4 or 5 brands of oil, all rated JASO "MA", but have not seen any change. I'm sure that the clutch plates are sticking. Clutch lever and shift lever adjustments have not helped, so I just live with it.

Last edited:

High Park

Thanks to everybody who posted their experience. I haven't filled in the end of the story yet because I don't have it. So far the dealer service has told me that, based on suggestions from Yamaha Canada, they have increased the idle rate, taken off the clutch cover, cleaned out the plates, and need to put in a new gasket. I didn't get the exact name of the gasket down (I think he said basket cover/seal, but I could be wrong). Unfortunately, the part is on back order and expected some time next week. That means they don't know yet if it has fixed the issue. To add salt to the wound, not only will that be over three weeks lost summer riding time (a real issue in Ontario!) but I will (a) have to get 200 km back to Owen Sound from Toronto on a Saturday, since I have to get back to the city now; and (b) go into serious additional spousal deficit points for the lost day and child minding.

firefighter57

i only have this prob going to N before i start the bike. It has to be rolled back just a little to go into N to start it up. Ive never started it in 1st.

Also someone else posted that they were told not to turn off the bike completely (meaning key off and kill switch). I always turn off the key and the kill switch, someone had told me the killswitch still draws power from the battery (not sure about that)
reason why you have to roll it back before you shift to N is because the dogs (gears in the bike) have pressure on them and by rolling the bike back slightly, you move the dogs and take the pressure off them.

And yes, if you hit the kill switch but not the key, it keeps the power to the bike on.

Michael Wilson

This used to happen quite often to me and several other buddies on our dirtbikes. We would simply rock the bike while shifting into neutral. problem solved