Nervous about getting on my FZ6R

W

wolfc70

First off relax, you already dropped your bike, you know that horrible feeling of laying on the ground next to or under your bike. Start small, get a feel for the throttle and how it responds. Do the same for the clutch. Then the brakes, front, rear, and how both respond together. A tip I was taught in the MSF course is drive at a set speed, and brake moderately using the front only, rear only and then both. Notice how each aids in decreasing stopping distances. Ride at a pace and distance you are comfortable with. Parking lots are great, if you have easy access to one, if not, a lightly traveled subdivision works well too. Do not be embarrassed about your learning curve, remember this is supposed to be fun, so do what you are comfortable with to keep it fun.

Also once you are home, sit on your bike, get a good feel for it. Sit on it and move it around the garage/driveway. The more you feel at home sitting on it, the better off you will be on the roads. Enjoy!!

MNDZA

DAMN!!!! This thread is never-ending. I think you guys have given wayyy too much advice in wayyyy too little time. Let him do his thing. He'll see that it will come naturally.

B

blaxx

DAMN!!!! This thread is never-ending. I think you guys have given wayyy too much advice in wayyyy too little time. Let him do his thing. He'll see that it will come naturally.
I agree. Jump in the saddle and go! Slowly at first, them kick it up a notch when your ready. I've been riding for about a month now, and did fine, and my MSF class is tomorrow. You've already taken your class so you should be fine.

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm ready to ride now. I'll post here how it goes on my first day. Later....

T

TRAILERTRASH

Well most of you know I just completed the BRC 2 weeks ago. I rode a Ninja 250 and a Suzuki GZ 250 in the course for about 8 hours combined. I have yet to get on my FZ6R since I got it 2 months ago. I am really nervous on how much power the 600cc engine will have in first. I plan on doing what I learned in the BRC but I am still extremely nervous about getting on it. My friends and even my wife is pushing me to go ride it or go riding with them on it. But I know I am no where ready to hit the streets yet. Any words of wisdom from you veteran riders out there to help me overcome my fear of my first ride on my FZ6R. Thanks!
LMAO i can still remember when i had my first ride! gay that i have to sell my bike. by the first riding season you will be comfortable and probably begin to get bored, at least i did.

M

MarinaFazer

small good beginer bike but anyone even beginers will get bored with it i am bored with mine and only put 600 miles on it i just shouldve got a fz1 or a similar bigger bike with alot more power and comfort
MWilkins -> just curious - is the FZ6R your first bike?

Ok, it's done! First time I ever got on my bike. Just got off my bike after 8 miles on local streets just a few minutes ago. I was nervous for nothing. It handled beautiful and was not much harder than the Ninja 250 I rode on in the MSF. I think I made a wise choice as far as my first beginner bike. I got up to about 45-50 MPH and practiced the quick stop and all went well. Just found the turn signals out of place as I had to move my whole hand over about an inch to the right to reach it with my thumb. Just need some practice on hand placement for the clutch. Also found it hard for me to reach the rear break on a dime. After a few practice runs it felt fine. I felt fine on the local streets with no traffic. I think I passed maybe 2 cars the whole ride. I need a lot more practice before I head on the local streets with traffic and let alone the highway. I had a ball and practice makes perfect. So guess I have a lot of practice ahead of me. Thank you all for your advice and I just wanted to let all of you know how I did. Take care my fellow riders.

phocoyote7

Ok, it's done! First time I ever got on my bike. Just got off my bike after 8 miles on local streets just a few minutes ago. I was nervous for nothing. It handled beautiful and was not much harder than the Ninja 250 I rode on in the MSF. I think I made a wise choice as far as my first beginner bike. I got up to about 45-50 MPH and practiced the quick stop and all went well. Just found the turn signals out of place as I had to move my whole hand over about an inch to the right to reach it with my thumb. Just need some practice on hand placement for the clutch. Also found it hard for me to reach the rear break on a dime. After a few practice runs it felt fine. I felt fine on the local streets with no traffic. I think I passed maybe 2 cars the whole ride. I need a lot more practice before I head on the local streets with traffic and let alone the highway. I had a ball and practice makes perfect. So guess I have a lot of practice ahead of me. Thank you all for your advice and I just wanted to let all of you know how I did. Take care my fellow riders.
Alright, off on a good note. Congrats!

Probably thinking to yourself what was I so nervous about. I was told to not loose that feeling when you ride as that is what will save you. Keep riding safe:thumbup:

F

FZ1inNH

Excellent! What we like to hear... incident free! Keep at it and don't push your limits and you'll do fine!

C

chimneydoc

With you getting on the bike is comming down to the old Nike commercial. Just do it. :rockon:

Doc.

Alright, off on a good note. Congrats!

Probably thinking to yourself what was I so nervous about. I was told to not loose that feeling when you ride as that is what will save you. Keep riding safe:thumbup:
Yeah your right my wife was watching me and she was getting me nervous. But I just got on it and did what they taught me at BRC and I was fine and the bike was so smooth.

S

stryken

small good beginer bike but anyone even beginers will get bored with it i am bored with mine and only put 600 miles on it i just shouldve got a fz1 or a similar bigger bike with alot more power and comfort
You must have put all 600 on it on the highway. If you were riding the twisties aggressively you would not be bored and would not be disappointed with the power. Even a 250 on the back roads can take an experienced rider past his threshold and can put a huge smile on even the face of a liter rider if they know how to do more than just pull wheelies and gun it at every long stretch of road.

D

dean owens

glad you did it. i said earlier in this thread... i remember that time. sitting at the edge of the driveway, nervous to get on the road. then i got on and it was GREAT! congrats.

S

stryken

glad you did it. i said earlier in this thread... i remember that time. sitting at the edge of the driveway, nervous to get on the road. then i got on and it was GREAT! congrats.
That is so true, and no matter what kinda super bike you end up with in your future you will never have as much fun as you are going to have this first year. ENJOY!!!

Yeah man I was more nervous with my wife and kids watching me like it was something special. I was nervous to make a fool of myself in front of my wife and kids. But after all it seemed so easy. I love how this bike accelerates and rides it is so smooth its unreal. Great beginner bike and I recommend it to any new rider. Get one they are great bikes.

That is so true, and no matter what kinda super bike you end up with in your future you will never have as much fun as you are going to have this first year. ENJOY!!!
Yeah your right. Don't think I will get anything bigger than a 600cc but time will tell. My wife is getting a V Star 250, lets see how long it takes her to out grow it.

MNDZA

Awesome...congrats!