My riding buddy had a whole slew of new experiences today

ChUcK

My best friend got his first bike ~6 months ago, a gen1 SV650. First thing he did, before ever riding it (I rode it home upon purchase) was install frame sliders. Smart dude.

Today we were going up and down a nice 8 mile twisty and the turn-around spot is on an incline. Surprise surprise, he dropped it during the U-turn. No big deal, just a scratch on the mirror and a chewed up slider puck. Next time we got to the turn-around he didn't heed my advice to just walk it around the turn and he dropped it AGAIN, this time the clutch lever snapped at the base, rendering it unusable.

We could have rode out of there with him on my bike and me riding clutchless on the SV, but NO WAY am I letting him ride my bike after dropping his twice, because his mental game was gone. :surrender:

It was his first time riding pillion as well. I tried to convince him to give all the other bikers the Princess Wave (fingers together, rotate at wrist flamboyantly) but he wouldn't go for it :D and we hit up the only place that had his clutch lever, some 50 miles away.

My anonymous friend is a savant with the twisties. Not perfect form, but he doesn't cross up and could dust me once he fully learns and trusts his SV's lean capability. He needs a TON more practice at slow-speed maneuvering though.

He was a little annoyed at how I put him on pillion, then flawlessly stroked the same inclined U-turn he just flubbed twice, hahaha.

ChUcK

I thought about that, but we didn't have my mini-vise grips with us. I had to ride my shadow 750 with a severed clutch cable before, and I'm sure I could do it again, maybe with a little push-start each time we had to stop.

Detrich

Slow speed maneuvering is a difficult skill to master. I need lotsa practice too. Good to hear u guys made it back ok...