My first group ride..amazing!

MNDZA

I went on my first group ride yesterday. We went to an awesome site and rode there for a while. It was almost like a race track, but it wasn't really....kinda like an undeveloped subdivision. LOTS of sharp twisties and roundabouts mixed in. I finally, for the first time, got to really ride my bike the way it should be ridden. I always assumed I mastered the bike and was going to upgrade to something like a liter bike next year, but now I understand I have a lot to learn. Everytime I ran the "course" I became more and more confident in taking curves at higher speeds and leaning the bike over hard. I definitely have a lot more respect for my bike now and know that it's better than I can ride it. I managed to ALMOST completely rid the left side of my tire of chicken strips, but I was scraping the left foot peg so I didn't push any further. The right side is almost gone too, but this area had more sharp lefts than rights so I didn't get to push it as hard to the right as I wanted. All in all, an awesome ride!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
:thumbup: Good deal!

It's nice when you can get out and ride and learn a few things while having fun. It'll take some time before you ever outgrow your bike. Next you need to really get to a track and do a trackday. I believe there is one in Joliet, chech it out sometime.

fz6rwolf

I still have chicken strips. I consider myself pretty experienced but not on sport bikes and don't have anyone I know that has a sportbike that I can go out with and do practice and get pointers (about everyone I know still has cruisers). I KNOW the bike can do alot more than what I can do but don't have the confidence at 47 years old to really push it. In my young days when I rode dual sports I was fearless, jumping things, climbing hills, riding wheelies down the road. Now I'm tentative pulling the front wheel up a foot to foot and a half much less getting up high enough to ride one out, same with corners leaning over far enough even though I know the tires will still grip I get that feeling that it'll just start sliding down the side. I'm still having a great time and doing corners faster than I ever did on big heavy cruisers but wish I had more confidence to push myself and the bike closer towards the limits.

fz6rwolf

Quick question. Below name and avatar and stuff I see most people have in blue "donate" while mine says "check", what the heck does that mean? It shouldn't mean donate means those that have donated because I donated too?

Ooter

Glad you're enjoying the bike man - just be careful out there! If you're scraping hard parts on public roads you must be riding at a pretty quick pace!

I'm too chicken to do that stuff on the street, I'm too busy worrying about the soccer mom in the minivan coming around that corner over the double yellow.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you're enjoying the bike man - just be careful out there! If you're scraping hard parts on public roads you must be riding at a pretty quick pace!

I'm too chicken to do that stuff on the street, I'm too busy worrying about the soccer mom in the minivan coming around that corner over the double yellow.
Yes, please be careful. If you are riding in an undeveloped subdivision, chances are you will encounter loose dirt and gravel on the roads.

Stay safe!

cbzdel

I went on my first real group ride last Monday and wow was it good! I think riding with more experienced riders is the best thing to do when you are looking at improving your skills.. (just caution not to over do it and ride your own ride)

What I liked to do was be towards the rear of the group just to view other peoples technique and try it out myself and see what works and what doesnt..

One thing I learned, was how to hang off the bike, get your butt totally off the seat pretty much lol

O-turn

Partier
Group rides are a ton of fun! Like cbzdel said though, ride to YOUR ability and dont try and get cocky, dont over push it or your gonna end up on the ground! Be safe out there!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Group riding can be an excellent learning tool. If you are riding with a good group, the more experienced riders should be able to give you pointers and advice for improving upon your skills. Just be aware though, experienced riders like to push the limits on the streets, which can be dangerous for new riders. Go out and have fun with the group, but don't be afraid/shy to tell everyone you are new. Most will understand and help you ride within your limits and abilities.