Mountain Riding - Questions & Concerns (new rider)

MiniMose

Soon i will be taking Felicia up to the Aps, starting on the smalls and staying there for a while before graduating to the bigs.

I just would like to get some helpful hints and handy tips about mountain riding, so that i can have some safe fun up there.

also... riding in groups... in said mountains.

(i hope this thread is in the right place :eek: )

JSP

Super Moderator
Dont try to keep up with anyone. Ride in YOUR comfort zone. When you push yourself outside of your limits, bad things happen. Don't treat it like a race track. Especially if you have never been there, dont know the roads, road conditions (sand, gravel, etc), etc. Just ride relaxed, but alert and have fun. Dont let anyone push you. Wave them by.

BKP

Everything JSP said... sage advice. Most importantly do not ride beyond your own skill-set REGARDLESS of what others in the group do.

Been up there many times, myself, and you need to be aware of road debris if there's been recent rains (which as you well know, we're ready to build an Ark here in Georgia). Had a little wobble myself on some sand in a wide turn up there just a couple days ago... So, easy in the turns, and your throttle will pull you out of them, just fine.

Finally, it's not only your own skills you need to watch in the blind turns, on the two-lanes... watch for others coming around in the opposite direction drifting into *your* lane (rhnytak had a close one with a van riding towards him, in *his* lane, on one of our recent trips up there -- btw, I have that on video somewhere, bud).

Good luck, take it slow, ride safe (and gear up!).

rhnatyk

Soon i will be taking Felicia up to the Aps, starting on the smalls and staying there for a while before graduating to the bigs.

I just would like to get some helpful hints and handy tips about mountain riding, so that i can have some safe fun up there.

Got a few questions:

1. Who's Felicia (your bike, wife, girlfriend) ?
2. Where/What are the Aps (Alps, Appalachians) ?
3. What are "smalls" and "bigs" ?

Don't mean to pester you, but I'd like to make sure I understand what you're up to before I chime in.

MiniMose

Got a few questions:

1. Who's Felicia (your bike, wife, girlfriend) ?
2. Where/What are the Aps (Alps, Appalachians) ?
3. What are "smalls" and "bigs" ?

Don't mean to pester you, but I'd like to make sure I understand what you're up to before I chime in.
Felicia is the bike
aps...Appalachians, blood first then beyond.
smalls are the short routes... then the more technical.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

rhnatyk

Mose ... just read your other posts and it appears that this is your first bike and you've been riding for about one month or so, correct? I'd say it's too early to head up to the North Georgia mountains. Some of the roads up there are among the most challenging in the country. Without a lot of experience I'd really advise you to avoid them for now.

That said, here are my suggestions for some roads north of Sandy Springs that will provide enough twists to be entertaining, but won't kill you:

1. Birmingham Highway (372) from Crabapple Road to Ball Ground
2. Yellow Creek Road from 369 to 53
3. Cowart Road from Yellow Creek Road to 53
4. HWY 53 between Tate and Dawsonville
5. HWY 9 from Dawsonville to Dahlonega
6. Auraria Road from 136 to Hwy 9
7. Hwy 136 from GA 400 to Talking Rock

In general, Cherokee county is close by and provides a lot of roads that are scenic and not too heavily traveled. It's a good place to practice your skills.

Ride safe (and be patient).
Richard

Last edited:

EsrTek

Disagree w/ last post.. I had my (new) ninja 250 2 weeks before going to the dragon, and only rode my very 1st (used) 250 about 1 month prior to that.
The biggest part of making it is... "Riding your own ride!!!"
I can't stress that enough.. twice I got caught up in "catchin up" and those 2 times where the only 'oh shit' moments I had.
So ride your own pace and you'll be fine.

MiniMose

thank you everyone for sharing your experience and tips.

i have 2 rides that i am going to be going on before i go to the mountains... both are in increasing technical skill levels.

i think i will be looking for some smalls to practice on until then as well.

sammy56

Disagree w/ last post.. I had my (new) ninja 250 2 weeks before going to the dragon, and only rode my very 1st (used) 250 about 1 month prior to that.
The biggest part of making it is... "Riding your own ride!!!"
I can't stress that enough.. twice I got caught up in "catchin up" and those 2 times where the only 'oh shit' moments I had.
So ride your own pace and you'll be fine.
Nothing like having an "oh shit" moment on a mountain rode with cliffs. I hope you have an accident free life, but your opinions that put people in positions they likely should avoid for a brief period are not advisable.....
Good people here and most give conservative and very good advice for a sport riddled with risk....glad your "oh shit" moments did not kill or hurt you, but you are likely better served learning from them versus advising others to follow your lead albeit reminding them to "ride their own ride."

EsrTek

Nothing like having an "oh shit" moment on a mountain rode with cliffs. I hope you have an accident free life, but your opinions that put people in positions they likely should avoid for a brief period are not advisable.....
Good people here and most give conservative and very good advice for a sport riddled with risk....glad your "oh shit" moments did not kill or hurt you, but you are likely better served learning from them versus advising others to follow your lead albeit reminding them to "ride their own ride."
I was simply suggesting that, and showing an example, that new riders need not be afraid of twisties, but they need to try them at a cautious pace within their limits.

Last edited: