Mods I've done so far....

O

Ozfazer6

That garage door mod is one of the best I,ve seen,How did you do it ?

xplodnstar

The door opener was more technical than anything else. Unfortunately I didn't take pics as I did it, but maybe I can explain enough.

I started with a key-chain remote and opened it up. Found the contact points that make the door open and soldered lead wires to them (carefully). Take apart the switch housing on the left handlebar and remove the dummy button. I bought a small momentary switch from Radio Shack to mount inside the housing. I think this is the same one, but I'm not positive on the size. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062546 I don't suggest purchasing from this link unless you measure the inside area of the housing and make sure that you have room for 3/8" around for the case of the switch. The specs of the switch, however, are correct.

Cut the dummy button down and glue the face to the switch head. Connect the switch to some lead wires and feed them through the housing. Connect the switch wires to the opener wires and loom it up. I used double stick tape to mount the opener under the fairing.

I will try to get out and pull stuff apart to take pictures of the finished internals, but it might be a little while before I get that chance. If you ever did the science project where you have to connect the electrical components to make a bulb light up, you can probably do this mod easily. the hardest part was getting the button to fit just right. Take baby steps when cutting it down, I haven't found anywhere to buy an extra one yet.

Let me know if there are any more specific questions, I may have forgotten something.

L

LERecords

love the bike.. little confused about why yamaha didnt give you a hazard flasher or maybe i just missed that..

M

MarinaFazer

:welcome: I'm also glad to see you supporting the Marina Del Rey OTD Yamaha...that's the spot I go to for gear and supplies. Great guys...perhaps I'll run in to you there one day.

xplodnstar

:welcome: I'm also glad to see you supporting the Marina Del Rey OTD Yamaha...that's the spot I go to for gear and supplies. Great guys...perhaps I'll run in to you there one day.
I love the OTD guys, but I don't live anywhere near MDR anymore. I use the Santa Ana shop for all my service, but they don't sell Yamaha, so I bought from the sister store. Still nice to have another OTD fan, though.

M

MarinaFazer

service? what is this mystical service you get? haha - do it at home!!!

xplodnstar

service? what is this mystical service you get? haha - do it at home!!!
For oil changes sure, but anything more technical I'd rather someone certified did it. I don't need my bike falling apart on me on my way to work.

F

FZ1inNH

Ok... the garage door opener idea is way too cool to not attempt! Thanks!!! :thumbup: But, I do have working flashers.

I remember someone either here or on the "other" FZ6 site, had wired it to the High/Low beam switch? Flick the lights to high then low to open the door? But they almost NEVER used their high beams.

Maybe I'll just wire a switch and mount it close by. :sinister:

xplodnstar

You can certainly do it elsewhere. I just liked the idea of the clean, stealth look. Hubby modified a PC slot cover to mount his button next to the housing on the left side. Not as neat, but then you don't have size restrictions.

xplodnstar