Mod FZ6R or buy FZ8?

PaulinItaly

I purchased an XJ6F (FZ6R) about two months ago - I'd really wanted the FZ8 (half fairing) but it wasn't immediately available and I was tired of not having any transportion.

Thus my current situation - on the one hand I can sell my FZ6R (and probably not lose my butt in the process) and pickup an FZ8 (which I haven't ridden) for probably a bit under $3000 (probably). For no apparent reason I like the deltabox frame better than that of the FZ6R - although with the weight difference, I'm concerned about fuel economy (mostly because even with 46 mpg I feel like I am constantly stopping for gas), and the flickability (lots of mountains here about) or - I can pickup some go fast and touring mods for the FZ6R (pipe, computer, windscreen) - definitely doesn't make sense to mod and then sell the FZ6R though...

What are your thoughts?

MikeN02

I purchased an XJ6F (FZ6R) about two months ago - I'd really wanted the FZ8 (half fairing) but it wasn't immediately available and I was tired of not having any transportion.

Thus my current situation - on the one hand I can sell my FZ6R (and probably not lose my butt in the process) and pickup an FZ8 (which I haven't ridden) for probably a bit under $3000 (probably). For no apparent reason I like the deltabox frame better than that of the FZ6R - although with the weight difference, I'm concerned about fuel economy (mostly because even with 46 mpg I feel like I am constantly stopping for gas), and the flickability (lots of mountains here about) or - I can pickup some go fast and touring mods for the FZ6R (pipe, computer, windscreen) - definitely doesn't make sense to mod and then sell the FZ6R though...

What are your thoughts?
I say do what the wallet allows. If you realllly want something then go out there and get it. I would wait a bit on the mods though if you do decide to change your mind.

Otherwise you can either do the mods, then find out that you wanted the FZ8 more so take off all the mods and sell them...

I go with option 1.

FZ6R-Billy

When you figure in the cost of the pipe, computer, and windscreen there is not that big a difference in cost. I would go for the FZ8.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

stevet

You always take a financial bath when you sell a new vehicle too soon. There will always be a newer and in some ways greater bike, computer, stereo, cell phone etc. I have learned in life "It's not having what you want It's wanting what you've got" Cheryl Crow. I just got a FZ6R a month ago and find it's got plenty to keep me pleased for a long time.
Steve

PaulinItaly

The FZ8 Naked was available here --- I'm actually comparing the FZ6R full fairing to the FZ8 half-fairing. I don't know if I'd get tired of the FZ8 that quickly --- things to think about in any case.

ry-mac75

I thought about the same thing. It's a tasty bump in power. I somehow doubt you'll get bored of 106 hp inside of two months - that's a lot of giddy up and by the time mods come out for it, I'm sure you'll be able to press it up and around 110 hp or so.

If you want more go - give'r.

Superzoom

I would say that with the FZ8, you're getting exactly what you pay for, so if you can afford it, you should get it, because it's a better bike in most ways. The engine is significantly stronger and I suspect the suspension is better.

Having said that, the FZ6R is a fantastic value. It has no fatal flaws and the engine is nicely tuned for beginner and intermediate riders. The only real advantage the FZ6R would have, besides good value, is lower insurance.

calltrex

i took both fz8s for a ride

i would defiantly get the fz8 with fairing over the fz6r

FZ8 would probably last longer without getting tired of it

I had the FZ6R for less then a year and got tired of it. traded it in 3 weeks ago and got a new bike

Halon

I wouldve gotten the fz8 if it was available when I was looking, but for now the fz6r is good for what I need. It's comfortable (if you're not a pansy ;p), has enough power for my needs, and handles nicely. My only disappointment is the non adjustible suspension (excluding the rear spring.), if I could change one thing I wouldve asked for a fully adjustible suspension.

My advice is go with your gut, but don't ignore your brain. Mods aren't really an issue, since there is basically nothing for the fz6r or the fz8 beyond a pipe and aesthetic mods.

scoobienorth

to me if the 6 doesnt cut it in power get the fz1, dont even bother with the 8, you will want the 1 next year anyway.the 6 is a great bike, if all that is lacking is power, go big or you will regret it