Maybe this is a really dumb question but...

Gunn4r

This has always kinda bugged me. Most people who are serious about their bikes do mods like a fender eliminator or flush turn signals. Why don't manufacturers just make the bikes like that already? Seems like it would be cheaper (less materials) for one thing. Is there some law that bikes must have those stupidly large rear fenders and the Christmas tree light bulb turn signals??

Dimefan

I wonder the same thing. Where about in Utah are you? I used to live in SLC and have family in Ogden... just curious.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Gunn4r

I wonder the same thing. Where about in Utah are you? I used to live in SLC and have family in Ogden... just curious.
I grew up mainly in St. George, living and going to school in Provo now. :D I lived in SLC for awhile too when I was going to the U. <3 Utah.

three letters...

D

O

T

. You'll see most aftermarket parts say explicitly "Not D.O.T. approved"

Feds in the way again. Take control... tell your representatives how you feel, and maybe it will change... until then. ride safe!
Ah yeah so it is law. SO dumb. I'd love to hear lawmakers rational on stuff like this. Just seems so silly.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Gunn4r

Thanks for the great response Jon, makes sense. :thumbup:

BYU Gunn4r?
Nope, UVU. BYU doesn't have a web development specific program like UVU does, plus I didn't like all that much the BYU rules. I went to BYU Idaho for a semester, and being turned away from the testing center because I have some 5-oclock shadow is just silly :p. Besides, UVU is awesome. :D

Last edited:

Gunn4r

Very small world! I'm always amazed at how many people I run into that have lived in Rexburg / went to BYUI/Ricks. I edited my post, I said I hated the BYU rules, but that isn't true... I just found some of them sorta silly and inconvenient.

Last edited:

roadrat

Hmmmm... I live in Cali and I'm thinking about making a fender elimination mod. My questions are, what is the most popular kit? Is a flush mount or integrated tail/turn light less safe than the giant appendage on there now? And then now I am thinking, as JonKerr says, is there a way to do it that still adheres to Cali law?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

I think in Cali rear reflectors are required too... I bought a genuine Yamaha FE for the R6 for cheap off eBay. (Yes - Yamaha makes FE's too!) But, I decided to hold off installing it for now, cuz I'm actually getting used to the stock look. It's actually not that bad, imo- plus it's more visible at night...

Gunn4r

It's true the stock fender on the FZ6R isn't terrible. Some bikes tho its just silly how big the fender can be. The ninja 250 for example:

JonKerr

Elite Member

xezty

The laws for states are usually different from each other and Cali usually takes the cake on all the extreme and absurd laws. I still have much love for SoCal though. I agree with the whole thing about it being ok for the most part and cops won't bust you for it unless you got into trouble over something else. I know out here in Vegas, you can't have blue headlights cause it's reserved for law enforcement. Just check the motorcycle laws for your state/city in your local dmv website...they usually have the list there.

amg14

i skipped through most of the replies but i definitely have something to say. i have been drankin' :iconbeer: and watching top gear (UK edition) and the other day i was riding around before the woodward dream cruise (in MI) stared and saw a honda CBR, and older one, in front of me. i tailed it for a few blocks and then it stared to slow down as i didnt see their break signal flare up (bc it was barely visible to the naked eye), so i was just watching my distance at this point. as i neared the bike, i could see that the cbr had its signal on... he was initiating a left hand turn but it was impossible to see it in the daylight because the blinker was like a sliver flashing in its rear fender. it was seriously impossible to see!

i like my stock signals because people can actually see them. and when i installed my targa FE i kept them cause they were far more visible than the cat eye signals that came with the FE kit.

do you want to be seen or not? that's what it boils down to? but in the process of being seen does your bike have to look ridiculous in the process? the stock rear fender on the 6r is cazy looking, bottom line. after installing my FE, im pleased with the results because im just as visible as before minus the bat wing. :iconbeer::iconbeer:

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

RyanChristenson

My turn signals are obnoxiously bright and yet, very clean and stealthy looking. Especially the rear. I have the ones mounted on the rear body work, and then I mounted some of the LED blocks mounted to the signal mounts on the edge of the FE. Then the flushies in the front are very bright to the side and the LED blocks I put in the fake air intakes are again, ridiculously bright.

Here's a crappy 15 second video of them.

YouTube - ‪P6200001‬‏

I know this is an old one but any instructions on installing lights in the fake air intakes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member