Massive Oil Leak

gocougs88

So I installed my TBR exhaust and juice box the other day, then finally to her for a ride yesterday. I pulled in and noticed a pretty big spot right under my bike. After looking around I noticed there was a rubber tube (gas tank breather) wrapped around my crank between the block and the front sprocket. I'm thinking this tube may have rubbed my main seal causing it to have a slow leak. I guess my question is can anyone take a picture of their main seal so I can see what it's supposed to look like? I know, funky request, just tossing it out there.

JSP

Super Moderator
Can you take a pic of what you are talking about and where the leak is?

SpawnXX

Premium Member

gocougs88

So I cleaned it all up, started the bike and watched for leaks. It's definitely coming from the output seal. Here's a pic, the seal is where that red/orange looking stuff is. Has anyone ever replaced this seal, I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into here.

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
You sure its just not chain lube/goop?? Never seen one leak ever. Lots of people freak and think they have a leak, but its just chain lube/goop. And yeah, that chain isn't looking too good.

gocougs88

Yeah cleaned it up and ran it earlier and confirmed it's the output oil seal. Yeah the chain has 13k miles on it, plus I've been away for a month or so fighting wild fires. Probably get a new seal and chain :p Thx for the replies!

M

MuganEjaz

I thinks you must pull the spark plug wires off and have someone crank the engine for you while you watch where the oil is coming from.

Y

yellowfz

Yeah, seal is a real easy fix, just pop out the old one and tap in the new one.
Using the screw method to extract is a good way to do it, they do make seal extractors and Harbor Freight has them for cheap, just make sure and don't use to much force when installing the new one it should tap in fairly easily, make sure the new seal is aligned and use a seal installer or a socket large enough to fit the outside diameter of the seal and tap lightly, do not use grease on outside of seal and just lightly oil the new seal's inside lip.
I have in the old days and needed a seal, removed the old one and you can take the little coil spring out and snip off a little and re-twist the ends together (one end looks like a screw and fits in the other end by twisting it) making it seal again sometimes, NOT SAYING DO THAT, just relaying a experience.