Manual car(stick)

neshi

Was just wondering how can i transition my motorcycle shifting skills to a car! The principals are the same but it should be different!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
No, it is actually very much the same. The only difference is that you operate the clutch, shifter and throttle with different body parts.

So on the bike, you let off the throttle just a bit as you pull in the clutch, then you shift gears. After shifting, you ease the clutch out while rolling on the throttle. Same thing in a car. You begin to let off the gas pedal while pushing in the clutch pedal. Make the shift and then ease the clutch out while simultaneously pushing the gas pedal.

It does take some getting used to, simply for the fact that all cars are slightly different in their clutch catch-point, but once you find the sweet spot, it's easy breezy.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
After having my bike for a couple weeks now, getting back into the cage isn't what it used to be.
You got that right!

Im not used to driving my own truck anymore. I'm used to the high idle of the bike so I dont realize I need to shift when driving the truck. Sitting at 5k in the truck and then realize, "oh crap, shift!" Cant cruise at 5k in the truck like the bike...

btastarsky

I had the same problem at first when I started riding my bike alot. Luckily, I didn't come close to redlining the truck. My exhaust is loud enough that I would catch on by about 3k rpm. Only downside to the bike is that I cant safely drift it like i can my truck and mustang. :sinister:

cbzdel

I have not owned a drivable car in almost 2 years.. That being said I still drive the wifes car on occasion when we are together or if its terrible weather on her day off. But I used to be a great driver and capable of doing ALOT but I just dont feel safe in a car anymore, weird...

But driving a stick shift is the same as a bike, I suggest work the bike at a SLOW speed and get a feeling for the clutch, then do the same with a a car.. And yea, you cant rev it as high haha..

nlpyle

These riders got it right. I have a my truck (stick) and my wife has her little car (stick) so either way we are shifting and I love it. I had to try to hunt down a full size truck in a stick. Not as easy as I thought. Guess I lot of people like atuomatics but I am one that loves a stick. I feel as though I have more control of the truck. Not really true but that is just how I feel. But sense I got my bike I only take my truck one day a week and that is to go grocery shopping.
But boy, once you get the shifting down, it is a blast. Almost as fun as riding.