Lowering Question

JulianK

Hey All

I did a search but I didn't find anything definitive on this so please bear with me if I'm being repetitive.

I'm getting a little tired of tip-toeing at every stop light plus I hate the fact that it's difficult to push backwards when I'm on the bike trying to back out of a spot so I've decided to install a lowering link on the rear and drop the front end likewise. Not too much .... Maybe an inch or so.

So my question is: Will I need to modify the side stand to accommodate the different bike height (I.e. Shorten it)? I've heard it said both that I do and I don't but I'd really like to hear from someone that's actually done it on an FZ6R.

I think I can tackle the job myself (well, me and my buddy who knows his stuff around bikes) but if I have to cut the side stand, I'd probably get the whole thing done at my local bike shop.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Cheers.

jh14

I lowered and kept the stand stock. if you are going to parking in public a lot then you probably need to shorten it. It stands up much straighter and has a much higher chance of tipping to the other side. I kept mine in the garage and did not park in public much so it worked out fine for me.

Weslowski

I chopped and welded my kickstand about an inch so it doesn't stand straight. You could always buy a aluminum one that is already cut. Just when you lower the front end be careful not to do it too much or you'll bottom out.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JulianK

Thanks for all your replies.

So it basically sounds like I can get away with leaving it as it is but I should shorten it just to be on the safe side. What I'll probably do then is take it to my buddy and have him chop it and re-weld it an inch shorter.

I like the idea of that adjustable stand. But being in Canada, that $US69.95 translates to something like $153,000 Canadian!!! J/K but we always get shafted up here on parts! Chopping it will only cost me a couple of beers. [emoji1][emoji481]

Cheers guys!

chopper71

Thanks for all your replies.

So it basically sounds like I can get away with leaving it as it is but I should shorten it just to be on the safe side. What I'll probably do then is take it to my buddy and have him chop it and re-weld it an inch shorter.

I like the idea of that adjustable stand. But being in Canada, that $US69.95 translates to something like $153,000 Canadian!!! J/K but we always get shafted up here on parts! Chopping it will only cost me a couple of beers. [emoji1][emoji481]

Cheers guys!
I have a adjustable kickstand I had bought for my FZ1. Its brand new and you are welcome to it if you can cover the shipping. I won't ever need it and if it can help another rider out, its yours. I'm almost 100% sure it will work on a FZ6R bike. I no longer have the fz1. I bought it here Soupys Performance || Motorcycle Adjustable Kickstands, Motorcycle Lowering Links

Last edited: