lost the plate from the chain adjuster

mchury

anyone had any problems with the chain tension setup? the 2 nuts and the metal plate that caps the swingarm off, fell off my bike. If anyone has a spare by chance i would buy it from you.

JSP

Super Moderator

flyingminno

You can get them here at BikeBandit.com pretty cheap...

21: END 1 7923878-001 Enter 0-99 $7.68
22: NUT (6L2) 7855483-001 Enter 0-99 $4.06
23: WASHER 7693399-001 Enter 0-99 $0.40

2009 Yamaha FZ6R (REDISH YELLOW COCKTAIL 1) - FZ6RYY OEM Parts, 2009 Yamaha FZ6R (REDISH YELLOW COCKTAIL 1) - FZ6RYY OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com
Bikebandit has been my choice for bike parts for a few years now. My most recent purchase, replacement handlebar and end weight, was processed, ordered, shipped and arrived within 4 days with normal ground shipping.

mchury

FitZ6R

anyone had any problems with the chain tension setup? the 2 nuts and the metal plate that caps the swingarm off, fell off my bike.
Not on this bike, but it happened on my old Radian.

Y

yellowfz

Had it happen to me as well , made a temporary plate out of some old steel stock , ordered a new one , this time I drilled a hole 3 threads from the end on each of the threaded studs and inserted a cotter pin , solved that problem can't come off it may loosen but will not fall off .
Yamaha should have done the cotter pin or something similar .

Last edited by a moderator:

JSP

Super Moderator
Had it happen to me as well , made a temporary plate out of some old steel stock , ordered a new one , this time I drilled a hole 3 threads from the end on each of the threaded studs and inserted a cotter pin , solved that problem can't come off it may loosen but will not fall off .
That is a GREAT idea! :thumbup:

Deanohh

Yamaha did. They put a jam nut behind the adjustment nut. Properly installed there is no way those nuts can come loose. If there were a cotter pin and some guy didn't put the pin in...... same thing.

Midnightroadie04

Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Yamaha did. They put a jam nut behind the adjustment nut. Properly installed there is no way those nuts can come loose. If there were a cotter pin and some guy didn't put the pin in...... same thing.
Have ridden for 43 years and I know that if a jam nut when tightened properly should not fail , but if it does the cotter pin is a backup fail safe .
Cotter Pin does not have to be removed ever , unless you disassemble the whole adjuster every time you tighten your chain or change a tire , and if you do please tell me why would you . :eek:

Deanohh

Having ridden for 44 years then just take a punch and bend the 1st thread on the stud to keep the loose nuts on forever.

bmw675

never had a problem with mine coming loose, althoughthe plate was extemely sloppy when ever i was adjusting them.

Having ridden for 44 years...
no wonder you chose the street triple over the daytona.

I don't think i will have a back left after 44 years of riding.

Y

yellowfz

Having ridden for 44 years then just take a punch and bend the 1st thread on the stud to keep the loose nuts on forever.
Good idea , either way works , a fail safe is always good , mine fell off when I was developing the Tire Hugger for the rear , I had loosened the axle bolt and the right side plate moved slightly , when I went for a test ride I just tightened the axle bolt back not thinking the plates would need a quick tweak again , in riding the nuts being slightly of the plate vibrated enough they separated and became loose thus falling off . SO it was my fault for not checking the nuts again after loosing the axle bolt , but seriously never thought and I tighten nuts and bolts to Yamaha specs , would have came off .
SO in retrospect I felt a fail safe was needed .
If you think I am stupid for letting it happening , maybe , but just goes to show even experienced people make mistakes .