Locked up my rear tire

MNDZA

I was riding yesterday and going about 50mph towards a green light. It turns yellow and I wasn't 100% sure I'd make it, but kept going anyway. At the last second I see a cop waiting at the intersection so I hit both brakes HARD. The front end dived pretty hard and the rear locked up....the rear was slightly waving side to side. I naturally kept on the rear brake so didn't have any problems with it. Pretty intense, but I handled it well and didn't panic. I can't remember if I checked to see if anyone was behind me though....BAD mistake. The car in the lane to my right went through the light though...good he wasn't behind me.

atomoverride

if it is un safe for you to stop, you are supposed to go through the light. just dont speed through it too fast.

Ive had a cop pull me over in a car and I just said I thought it was safer for me to go than to stop. And he let me go.

The same thing had happened to me once! There was another time I was coming around a corner and there was a blind spot on the other side.........some kids decided that was a good place to cross the road! So I straightened up the bike and started braking! The back tire started doing its own thing, but myself and the bike came out alright! The kids just laughed and said "SORRY!" I kind of wish I had hit them after that! (Kidding......)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Two lessons are learned here. When you lock the rear tire, ride it out. Second, when you have to break that hard at an intersection, always check behind you. Some people won't stop, and you definitely don't want to be in front of them.

fz6rwolf

On I think each bike I've owned I've had to lock it up for one reason or another. So far on this one accidently did when got caught riding in the rain a car ahead of me (and I had left alot of room like always but even more so with the rain) decided last minute to brake and make a left turn (guess they didn't know where they were). That one ws bit hairy as I didn't think I had braked that hard and slid quite aways even though only going about 30-35mph and the rear of that car was coming up fast. Was more pissed at the other driver than scared and the bike kept a pretty straight line. Remember roads are real slick when first starts raining.

cbzdel

This thread reminds me that I need to practice my emergency braking...

I need to find myself a good open lot to do it in though... it worry's me because I have seen all the clips on you tube with people flipping over the handlebars!

But I will just keep doing it and gradually work up to it..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
This thread reminds me that I need to practice my emergency braking...

I need to find myself a good open lot to do it in though... it worry's me because I have seen all the clips on you tube with people flipping over the handlebars!

But I will just keep doing it and gradually work up to it..
Just remember that emergency braking is not grabbing a handful of front brake as hard and as fast as you can. Instead, emergency braking involves progressively applying more and more brake smoothly. Yes, the front should dive, but you shouldn't be doing a stoppie or endo.

I need to practice often also. I was told by my MSF instructors to use the front and rear brake evenly and as smooth as possible to come to a complete stop. Plan on practicing with my bike next week.

fz6rwolf

The stoplight thing, I usually slow a bit coming towards any light but there have been times when in just that right circumstance that it's either brake hard or run through. If I know I can stop without locking it up and there's no one behind I'll do a hard brake. If there's someone behind and I'll just get red AS I'M GOING THRU but not before I'll go thru, cop or not. I used to be a cop and as long as you aren't speeding beforehand and they see the situation of a car behind you they're usually pretty good about it when you explain you were worried about that car behind rearending you. Basic thing about being pulled over for any reason is be polite and don't lie, nothing used to piss me off than someone out and out lying. You might get a young or rookie that's gung-ho and is by the book, in that case just take your lumps and don't argue your cause as it'll have no effect.

cbzdel

Just remember that emergency braking is not grabbing a handful of front brake as hard and as fast as you can. Instead, emergency braking involves progressively applying more and more brake smoothly. Yes, the front should dive, but you shouldn't be doing a stoppie or endo.
Yeah same pressure as standard braking just pulling the the lever further. Correct?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah same pressure as standard braking just pulling the the lever further. Correct?
Yes, you will be pulling the lever further than during normal stopping. This is generally because you will be traveling faster and stopping in a shorter distance. So pulling the lever further will provide more pressure between the pads and the rotors to provide greater stopping power.

unleased1287

i have had to lock my brake a couple of times with this bike but its so heavy that if it does lock up it stays pretty strait and is easy to keep it like that. the worst one i have had is a ambulance pulled out in front of me right after passing a truck i was doing about 60 or so after slowing down easing on my brakes. i always start to press my back brakes first then press the the front ones i keep it like that till i come to a stop always having more pressure on the back ones. i have done a lot of riding on bikes and if u press the front brakes as hard as u can its really hard to get the back of the bike up unless u dive froward on it. usualy the front tire will just slide too and that is something u never want cause if the back tire slides u can still maneuver the bike front brake locking up u will dump almost instantly.

Roaddawg

if it is un safe for you to stop, you are supposed to go through the light. just dont speed through it too fast.

Ive had a cop pull me over in a car and I just said I thought it was safer for me to go than to stop. And he let me go.
Actually, your suppose to drive at a speed safe for the roadway. If your at the point where its unsafe for you to stop, then your already driving too fast for the roadway and traffic lights OR your not paying attention. You gotta be careful approaching intersections. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I've just seen too many bad accidents involving red light pushers and people jumping the green light. My biggest fear riding is those people at the intersections. Stay safe.

stroke

i always use 70-30 70% front brake and 30% rear definattly the best way to stop without ever locking your rear tire i have to stop real quick doing 80 in the rain and didnt lock up or slide a bit