Little compition at work...

Michael Wilson

So basically the big dilema in any shop is torque wrench or no torque wrench? So we had a contest to see who could get clostest to a specific torque value.

We had 2 bolts, one to use a 1/4 rachet on the other to use a 1/2.

The way we checked it was by setting a torque wrench to the value we wanted and see how far the bolt turned after we tightened it jsut usign a rachet.

so we each took a swing at it and after checking it the winner was.....

ME (the newest "least experienced" tech)!!!

for my 1/4 torque i was off by 1/8 of a turn (basically spot on)

for my 1/2 torque i was off by just a little over 1/4.

My winning was $50

Just something fun to do in the shop...

that was my day just wanted to post it.

maybe you can challenge ytour buddies?

6R Blackout

Winning $50 is awesome you should be proud not only to be the closest in torque values but now your $50 richer:steve:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

never done that but when i was working as a diesel mech we would grab a wrench and see who could get it the tightest just with our hands. started with a single 7/8" bolt the 1st person went and got it as tight as they could then the next tried to see if they could go another turn, so on and so on. We would do the same with out 1/2" impacts too, to see who had the strongest.

the craziest thing ive ever seen like this was when i was working in comercial HVAC and some guys installing some ductwork started a little competition of who could get a pair of vice grips the tightest. they all had a go then their forman walked over and started chewing them out but then laughed and said this is how its done picked them up and literaly broke them by getting them so tight!!!