Lights in the Fake Air Scoops?

Bigevildoer

Hiya...

I was thinking about putting some running lights in the back of the fake air scoops on the handlebar fairing.. I don't mean big bright ones, but ones that have a slight blue-ish tint to them to kind of match the bike...

I'm hoping it would look a bit like a soft halo effect.. I don't think it would be a problem with the police or regulations because it won't be a bright light.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

later!

JSP

Super Moderator
Those are fake?

Bigevildoer

Those are fake?
Yup... completely fake... look where they go - absolutely nowhere that would be beneficial for air intake or engine cooling.

SiGPiGomer

I did that to my bike. I used red LEDs. I posted pictures of it under "painted parts" in the mods link. Check out the photos if you want to see what it will look like. I liked the looks of it. Also, it is street legal, as long as no lights reflect off the ground.

cbzdel

They are not technically fake, i mean they do direct air back towards the air box, it does build up the pressure back there, but no it does not go directly into the air box.

SiGPiGomer

I also did a write up on how to install the LEDs. It is listed under the "How To" link. Just look for the "Neons" link. Hope it helps. Very easy to install.

uscgduncan

I thought about that. I would like to have some "side road/ditch" lighting on the right side. Had a few close calls with animals cause I couldn't see them. Maybe some driving lights that were pointed to the right would help. But I will probably just install some LED's though.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about that. I would like to have some "side road/ditch" lighting on the right side. Had a few close calls with animals cause I couldn't see them. Maybe some driving lights that were pointed to the right would help. But I will probably just install some LED's though.
I bet you could fab up something to mount where the reflectors are on the front forks to hold a set of auxiliary fog lights. This would provide you some extra visibility during the day, and amazing lighting power for at night.

uscgduncan

Hey yeah, then they would follow the front wheel in a turn, making it more visible, as well as providing direct lighting along the side of the road on the straights.
Sound like a plan, and a mod for the dummy button.

Bigevildoer

I did that to my bike. I used red LEDs. I posted pictures of it under "painted parts" in the mods link. Check out the photos if you want to see what it will look like. I liked the looks of it. Also, it is street legal, as long as no lights reflect off the ground.
Awesome!
I'll have a peek at the instructions shortly.
Thanks again!
T.

Bigevildoer

I also did a write up on how to install the LEDs. It is listed under the "How To" link. Just look for the "Neons" link. Hope it helps. Very easy to install.
Just went through your instructions...
I'm going to be installing flush mount turn signals on my bike and won't be using the "always on" wire (I believe it's the brown one - could be the blue one though.. have to mess with it on the signal install) that goes to the stock signals. Could I use that line to power the LEDs in the scoops? Should be able to use the ground from the same line, right?
Later!

cbzdel

this thread got me thinking about putting some amber LEDs in the air scoops and turn them into blinkers completely visible from the front.. My flush mounts stick out about 3/4" but it doesnt seem to be a enough, people still look at me like I need to use a blinker at an intersection..

JSP

Super Moderator
How many watts does our bikes have available? Such as for extra lighting, etc. I know LEDs wont take up much anything at all, but maybe some small driving lights in the front like stated earlier.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
this thread got me thinking about putting some amber LEDs in the air scoops and turn them into blinkers completely visible from the front.. My flush mounts stick out about 3/4" but it doesnt seem to be a enough, people still look at me like I need to use a blinker at an intersection..
Have you thought about putting pod lights in the upper corners of the headlight housing?? This was something that crossed my mind as I'm considering the projector project.

xXMotoSniperXx

Negitive! If its red or blue very illegal! At least in California. Vehicle code does not allow any forward facing direct or indirect red/blue lights on any kind of vehicle unless its law enforcement. :spank:

Verranth

Negitive! If its red or blue very illegal! At least in California. Vehicle code does not allow any forward facing direct or indirect red/blue lights on any kind of vehicle unless its law enforcement. :spank:
True, but I put a strip of 3 blue LED lights in the air scoop anyway. So far, havent been pulled over. When the headlight is on, you can only see the first LED head on. If you are to the either side, you will see the rest and the glow is very minimal. With the headlight off, the glow is nice. I will be putting up pics soon.