License Plate... Lost?Stolen?

rahuljp

So, the other day, I went over to my friends house to watch the Mavs-Heat game... i went out around 9pm... so I wasnt riding fast etc... anyways... after the game was done, and I was leaving.. I was just walking around the bike and I noticed that my license plate was gone...

I have no clue when I saw it last! I rode to work earlier and I was pretty sure I had it then. I'm not sure if somebody removed it or if it fell off. I didnt have any original bolts, so I had gotten a couple of nut and bolts from the local hardware store. I figured I tightened them enough, but maybe I didnt and they shook loose?

Anyone else have any experience with this?

PS - Next time... loctite?

b_who

Somebody stole my tags off my car before.
I wouldn't be that surprised if somebody stole it specially nowadays

Oh and you should get a razor blade and cut your tags into triangles or w/e to make them a bigger pain to peel off haha

JSP

Super Moderator
I lost 2 plates on my old bike. I thought someone was stealing them, but the hardware was still there. Then I caught one about to fly off. It was ripping because I tightened it too much (without a license plate frame) and it ripped until it just flew off.

If you are missing your hardware, I am not sure... Could have loosened up.

Mguenther

On several of my old bikes, I backed up the plate with a piece of Aluminum the same size and a piece of inner tube between. Use STainless bolts and nylock nuts. I never lost one after that.

rahuljp

i know it differs from state to state, but did any of you guys report your plates stolen? OR did you just go to the DMV and get it replaced?

In CT, I can get a replacement for $25 or, if report it stolen and fill out the necessary paperwork, then I can get it for $5. I dont know if its worth the hassle though.

JSP

Super Moderator
In VA it was only $10 for a replacement plate... I just said it was gone.