kickstand scrape

FZJ

Anybody else scrape their kickstands in turns? I took the feelers off the pegs because I was grinding those and now I'm grinding the kickstand.

JonKerr

Elite Member

FZJ

I'm absolutely sure. I took the feelers off and since then the right side doesn't scrape. Just the left side. I had a rider behind me back off when he said I started sparking in a corner. I thought it was my pegs but there is a flat spot on the little ball on the end of the kickstand.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

redwing-2001

Unless you're on a track, you all are nuts.

If your pushing this bike so far you are scraping parts, you have left yourself no room for any, ANY incident that might be around the corner.......... (we weren't even pushing it and my friend still lost it coming around a corner into some gravel)

Safety gear? Jon, since you can't stand it when people wear just jeans, and your pushing the bike this far on the street?

Please, be safe, what if your "scraping kickstands, pegs, whatever" and there's a car coming from the other direction that crosses into your lane that you need that extra 10% of your limit to avoid them and you can't?:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Just my 2cents.
sounds like you all need to shift your weight inside more. shouldn't be necessary to scrape pegs on the street (or on the track for that matter - hang off). I agree that if you are scraping you are not leaving much of a safety cushion. Be careful out there.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZJ

Agreed with JonKerr. I appreciate your concern for our safety. On the the highway we ride, all the corners going up and down the mountains are tight but not enough where you can't look up ahead of it. You can see trouble as long as you look ahead of the turn and for those that I can't, I slow down. There's just some of us who like to push our bikes as well as ourselves on those weekend rides. I know my limits and ride well within them. It's a road I've been on more than enough to know the turns. I just want to know how much this bike can take as well as get rid of that chicken strip as I only need 1/16 or less to go. Good day to you all and ride safe. I know I will ;).

angelsneverlose

Agreed with JonKerr. I appreciate your concern for our safety. On the the highway we ride, all the corners going up and down the mountains are tight but not enough where you can't look up ahead of it. You can see trouble as long as you look ahead of the turn and for those that I can't, I slow down. There's just some of us who like to push our bikes as well as ourselves on those weekend rides. I know my limits and ride well within them. It's a road I've been on more than enough to know the turns. I just want to know how much this bike can take as well as get rid of that chicken strip as I only need 1/16 or less to go. Good day to you all and ride safe. I know I will ;).
can we even get ride of the chicken strips on these bikes? Especially with good tires and the upgraded size 170 in the rear? I brought mine to the track and ride pretty hard on the street, and im starting to think you cant get ride of the chicken strip before youll low slide (ill get knee down and still have 1/4inch left)...?

I lifted the bike with a strap one time a while ago and actually laid it over to try this and with the taller profile tire (pretending it was in a lean via lift), we were pretty sure we hit parts before running out of where the chicken strips would be... meaning, you will never get ride of the chicken strips because you dont have access to the whole tire contact patch before hitting the ground with other parts (pegs, etc..). Also, because of the angle (falloff) of the tire profile and contact patch area, i wouldn't trust the hairline thin tire you would still have left over as your contact patch

just my .2

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

on stock tires i have no chicken strips left and haven't drug any parts yet.. i do have the r1 rearsets tho.

Bigevildoer

Anybody else scrape their kickstands in turns? I took the feelers off the pegs because I was grinding those and now I'm grinding the kickstand.
You're kidding, right?
I've got almost no chicken strip left on the stock tires and haven't dragged anything yet - feeler or kickstand. It's not like I take the corners easy when I'm going quick - a friend of mine rides a Daytona 675 and I outcorner him at higher speeds no problem (admittedly, he's not a superstar rider either).

What's your rear pre-load set to?? If you're a middle-to-heavyweight guy, crank it right up. I've got mine set at 6 most days, and 7 when I want to push it a little harder. If you're cornering with a soft rear, it only makes sense that the g-forces will compress your suspension enough to make things drag.

FZJ

You're kidding, right?
I've got almost no chicken strip left on the stock tires and haven't dragged anything yet - feeler or kickstand. It's not like I take the corners easy when I'm going quick - a friend of mine rides a Daytona 675 and I outcorner him at higher speeds no problem (admittedly, he's not a superstar rider either).

What's your rear pre-load set to?? If you're a middle-to-heavyweight guy, crank it right up. I've got mine set at 6 most days, and 7 when I want to push it a little harder. If you're cornering with a soft rear, it only makes sense that the g-forces will compress your suspension enough to make things drag.
I'm at a 5 and I weigh 178. I'll try 7 this weekend and see what happens.

porky45

i'm glad a couple of you others piped up. I was wondering how in the hell everyone was scraping pegs except myself... I've got little to no chicken strip on my tires left and haven't scraped at all.

Guess with aftermarket tires it's really easy to scrape. At least with Jon's tires.

JonKerr

Elite Member

jotapeh

Nice. I am shamed to say I have not even dragged the feelers yet. And the downpour of rain we've had isn't going to let me try any time soon.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

I have only about 1/2" chicken strips on both sides and have not touched the pegs. I'm sure I've been close and definitely have anticipated touching them on many quick twisties, but I haven't yet. I think it all depends on your riding position. Smooth is fast!