Its on its way!

new2bikes

Hello everyone, my name is justin, just began a venture in bikes today, Blue FZ6r should be arriving in an hour or so. Researched for 2 months, took the plunge today. Ready to ride, gotta get some gear this weekend

micigniter

BE SAFE. Always keep that motherfucker upright when stopping, it likes to twerk if the handlebars are even slightly cocked lol. My right leg and lower back were sore for a week when i had to hulk out to keep the bike from takin a fall at a stop once upon a time ago.

Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

new2bikes

thanks , i plan on taking it slow, finished the MSF course few weeks ago, the bike is peacfully sitting in the garage right now, man im excited but gotta stay calm. i will post pictures once i navigate this site, just joined today. Looking forward to learning alot about bikes and riding in general, very good forum

Detrich

Congrats! Yah can't stress how important safety is... Seriously...

I'm a newbie too... Did MSF last Xmas and got my bike in Jan... I've been a fairly confident rider EXCEPT when cars drive like they own the road around me and come way too close. It's nerve wracking.

Just Wednesday I had a very minor incident at my work parking garage... Old lady was speeding up the levels and literally flying around the turns... I mean flying... She totally was not looking & was turning wide into the opposing lane. she nearly hit me- despite me having my high beams on & riding slow- ie parking garage speeds. I was ok, but shaken up by the sudden fear & shock that I brain farted and tipped over to my left AFTER she flew by. Bitch didn't even stop to see if I was ok... Luckily, it was just a tip, and my left frame slider took most of it, so not much damage- just very minor scratches on my left handlebar tip edge & left mirror, and rear seat handle. Touched it up with some Forever Black with a Q-tip and it's not very noticeable anymore...

Sometimes the least place u expect to run into trouble is where it hits. I learned that a parking garage is like 10xs more scary than the friggen street. Go figure. =(

new2bikes

yeah i hear ya, it seems low speeds and parking lots can be the worst. Im 45, and was advised against this but i need some stimulus right now until the business of real estate gets better, this is therapy for me. im going to enjoy it but yes the old ladies and soccer moms scare me too, they are the absolute worst IMO. its all good

Detrich

Totally... I'm still taking it slow too.. Only just started practicing short freeway runs.

Make sure that your riding clothes (gear)- esp helmet and jacket fit very snug. I made the mistake of buying gear that fit "comfortably.". Then I got on the freeway and the jacket was flapping and my helmet moving. LOL. I recently had to buy new stuff as a result. Lesson learned...

The correct figment is SNUG- ie tight- just not too tight where u can't breathe or lose circulation. But it needs to be snug... =). Hope my exp helps u avoid my mistake...

arkkornkid

Congratulations... and I'll go ahead and say it: you got the best color, I mean... it is TEAM YAMAHA blue! :D

arkkornkid

order a raised clear windshield right off the bat. good cheap upgrade
I got a survey from both my dealer and from Yamaha.... I took the time to fill them out and got a $25 off card for any OE Yamaha stuff over $50. So I'm gonna use it on the windscreen.

More than likely you'll get the same survey, so you may possibly luck out like I did.

ksanbon

Congrats! Yah can't stress how important safety is... Seriously...

Sometimes the least place u expect to run into trouble is where it hits. I learned that a parking garage is like 10xs more scary than the friggen street. Go figure. =(
Rule #1: Expect the unexpected.....

Though I live in a rural town, I feel safer on the LA freeways than I do in any parking lot because traffic moves in the same direction and there's a sense of flow to it. I stay within 5 - 7 mph of the flow, constantly monitor the vehicles around me, and evaluate my options as to the safest and fastest paths through traffic. Being small & quick really helps when merging into the next lane.

Some people think it sounds crazy, but I much prefer it to being in a car.

ME_with_a_B

Congrats on the new FZ6R, new2bikes!! I remember the first day I took mine out onto the road, I rode around my neighborhood for about an hour with a buddy of mine riding behind me "just in case" anything stupid happened (like me crashing into a parked car).

I was scared to shift out of 2nd gear. He kept saying "you can go faster you know..." but I didn't.

Now... ehhem... well let's just say 10,000 miles later, its a whole different story. ;)

Have fun, but never forget about safety.

new2bikes

thanks man, i plan on riding in the neighborhood since its very big with hills and stops sign and all. i plan to enjoy and not be terrified, i have confidence in my abilities, then go out on the soccer mom streets lol

MikeN02

thanks man, i plan on riding in the neighborhood since its very big with hills and stops sign and all. i plan to enjoy and not be terrified, i have confidence in my abilities, then go out on the soccer mom streets lol
I have no regrets on my falls when I was a beginner, it helped me grow from it and I actually enjoyed it looking back.

I say I barely passed the MSF course as I was the slowest in turns and didn't do so well in the box for U turns etc but I said I'd practice in my neighborhood for a week or two.

Well I did and I'm glad I did, then I went out in the streets at night/morning (2 - 3 AM) to practice U turns up and down the road.

And here I am now, an experienced rider asking my brother if he has any questions about riding before his MSF course.