Its getting cold!

cbzdel

So its been pretty cold out, in the low teens here! and I am still riding :D

Calculated it with the windchill factor for when I am on the freeway, it says its like riding in -18* weather :steve:

Its not as bad as you think, I am just wearing jean, (3) jackets a fleece helmet liner, and thick gloves :D

The only problem is the cold seems to be taking a toll on my battery, the cranking time is really starting to increase, 1-2 second of cranking before starting.. I might have to get a stronger batter for the cold!!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yay for the Polar Bear Club!! :rockon:

I have been riding as well. Temps near or below freezing and wind chill in the 20's. I am wearing my Cortech jacket with thermal liner, Tour Master Caliber textile overpants (no thermal liner) and my Scorpion Recon gloves. I wear a scarf that I picked up at Old Navy to keep my neck warm. By time I get to work, I have sweat behind my knees and under my arms. :rolleyes: The only parts that get cold are my face from good ventilation in my helmet and my feet because the riding boots I have are not meant for cold weather. Other than that, I still love riding, even in the cold and rain. People think I'm crazy and constantly tell me to be careful. :rof:

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Craxican

Lowest ive ridden in around here is about 30...not calculating humidity and all that stuff...but that wasn't bad....although its back up to 70 here:D

F

FZ6Rgurl

I've been in the single digits and in the negatives for the past couple days. My poor bike. I hooked the tender up to it yesterday and it really didn't want to start yesterday. When I went outside to work on it, it was currently 1 degree outside. I let it run for about 15 minutes just to get it nice and warm before I put the battery tender on it. Sad day. No riding for me. We've already got a wind chill outside without riding.

toastmaster

Man, you guys are crazy :) I'm also in the Puget Sound, but even with heated grips and thick clothing all around, these temps are too cold for me. Plus, I'd rather not find out the hard way about unexpected black ice.

Stay safe out there troopers.

cbzdel

with as dry as it has been the past few days there is no chance of ice in my area.. the rain will return soon though and that will raise the temps back up into the 40's

I am debating heated grips as well.. any input on if they are worth it?? actually debating butt heat as well and using a snow mobile butt heater, and even give one to the passenger :)

toastmaster

There may not be any water from the sky that freezes, but sprinklers may go off overnight, or peoples' cars may leak fluids, etc. Some guys at my work have hit a few ice patches on the Eastside these past few days.

Heated grips: the right set will make a world of difference. On my first bike, the Ninja250, I bought and installed the kit that just comes with the heating sheets. I have an EE background, so soldering stuff was no biggie for me. That kit put out a lot of heat, so my hands were nice and warm. They were totally worth it.

For this bike, I was lazy and found a costlier kit, but it had the grips already wired up. Much less work to install, but I get the feeling it doesn't put out as much heat. Since heat is sort of the point of getting the grips, I'd recommend against this kit (name forgotten) if you are comfortable with soldering and wiring diagrams.

That being said, highway riding still brings fast winds over your fingers, so that's why I'm still looking into hand guards. I hear it makes a world of difference.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

wtf, its supposed to be -30F this weekend. its 0 out right now. :)
Well, you are in the middle of Alaska almost!! :D I picked up an airplane in Fairbanks about 9-10 years ago and it was -27 without the wind chill factor. That was toooooo damn cold for me. It took 8 hours to defrost the jet. I like it up there much better in the summer. Beautiful.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

llervero

is in the 40's her in northwest FL. 30's last weekend still riding. is FL you would think it will be a litle warm, but nooooo.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Take a collapsible shovel with you and make your own path!! :thumbup::thumbup: