It Was Prettier Than Mine

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Head down to the bar/nightlife neighbourhood on a nice Saturday night in the summer and you'll see plenty of guys in a) designer jeans and slightly too tight tshirts, or b) pristine riding gear, cleaner than mine was when the UPS guy dropped it off at my door. They're all hanging around, leaning on sport bikes that would be a blast to take out and flog. They have slip on exhausts, and all of the requisite mods, and they're showroom-clean. They're usually on OE tires, barely worn, even on the 2 and 3 year old bikes. You will see them again in the exact same place the next time you are there.

Head to the street with the expensive restaurants and you're bound to see 3 or 4 HD Sportsters sharing a parking spot. Keep your eyes open for the group (often 2 couples) of middle aged affluent white people who belong to them. They can be identified by their well groomed silver hair, and their crisp, clean attire. Almost everything they are wearing will say Harley Davidson on it somewhere. You will see them again the next time you get dragged antiquing on Mother's Day. They'll be out for brunch.

And then some of us ride. On the way out of town, in the parking lot of some fleabag motel, you'll see a cluster of sport bikes covered in road grime and bug guts. Head in the the bar and you'll see a group of people with helmet hair and sweat stains on their tshirts, usually wearing their leather one-piece at half mast because they didn't have room in their tank bag for a pair of jeans. They'll be sharing a pitcher of beer and intently studying a map, deciding where to head off to at some sickeningly early hour. You'll see them again, but never in the same place. They will be scarfing a box of chips by the roadside, filling up with fuel, passing you when you are driving your family to the cottage. They only stop when they need to.

We all ride for different reasons. The guys in the first group probably get more chicks than I do, but I'm married anyway. I finished chasing girls in college. Now I chase apexes. I show my bike now and then because I'm proud if how I have made it look, but I ride to ride. My tires wear to the edges and there are usually bugs on my headlight. My riding gear smells evil and my gloves are softer than my newborn son's bottom. And I love it!

Last edited:

Daemonich

Head down to the bar/nightlife neighbourhood on a nice Saturday night in the summer and you'll see plenty of guys in a) designer jeans and slightly too tight tshirts, or b) pristine riding gear, cleaner than mine was when the UPS guy dropped it off at my door. They're all hanging around, leaning on sport bikes that would be a blast to take out and flog. They have slip on exhausts, and all of the requisite mods, and they're showroom-clean. They're usually on OE tires, barely worn, even on the 2 and 3 year old bikes. You will see them again in the exact same place the next time you are there.

Head to the street with the expensive restaurants and you're bound to see 3 or 4 HD Sportsters sharing a parking spot. Keep your eyes open for the group (often 2 couples) of middle aged affluent white people who belong to them. They can be identified by their well groomed silver hair, and their crisp, clean attire. Almost everything they are wearing will say Harley Davidson on it somewhere. You will see them again the next time you get dragged antiquing on Mother's Day. They'll be out for brunch.

And then some of us ride. On the way out of town, in the parking lot of some fleabag motel, you'll see a cluster of sport bikes covered in road grime and bug guts. Head in the the bar and you'll see a group of people with helmet hair and sweat stains on their tshirts, usually wearing their leather one-piece at half mast because they didn't have room in their tank bag for a pair of jeans. They'll be sharing a pitcher of beer and intently studying a map, deciding where to head off to at some sickeningly early hour. You'll see them again, but never in the same place. They will be scarfing a box of chips by the roadside, filling up with fuel, passing you when you are driving your family to the cottage. They only stop when they need to.

We all ride for different reasons. The guys in the first group probably get more chicks than I do, but I'm married anyway. I finished chasing girls in college. Now I chase apexes. I show my bike now and then because I'm proud if how I have made it look, but I ride to ride. My tires wear to the edges and there are usually bugs on my headlight. My riding gear smells evil and my gloves are softer than my newborn son's bottom. And I love it!
This... was beautiful
:steve:

cezell09

That was beautiful. :wav:

Daemonich

linkgt

Get a room please

Lamo...

On another note, anyone have any recommendations on what to read or Youtube vids to help them with body positioning or "knee drag" on corners? So far, i've started reading "total control" and I like it so far, but I haven't gotten to the chapter on body positioning yet. I also have twist of the wrist II dvd but I havent gotten a chance to watch that yet.

Been riding for 2 years now and I have improved greatly. I take corners a lot faster than probably every sport bike I've encountered. OP is right in the fact that most of these guys just get bikes for the cool factor...

cezell09

Lamo...

On another note, anyone have any recommendations on what to read or Youtube vids to help them with body positioning or "knee drag" on corners? So far, i've started reading "total control" and I like it so far, but I haven't gotten to the chapter on body positioning yet. I also have twist of the wrist II dvd but I havent gotten a chance to watch that yet.

Been riding for 2 years now and I have improved greatly. I take corners a lot faster than probably every sport bike I've encountered. OP is right in the fact that most of these guys just get bikes for the cool factor...
Definitely go ahead and pop twist of the wrist in the DVD player. That helped me tremendously and I still watch it again from time to time and learn new things that I didn't retain before.

Invader Jim

He's got a pretty bike and it looks pretty. That pretty much covers what he's spent so much money and time on. I've got a pretty bike that I RIDE!
The day I care more about how my bike looks than how I feel when I ride will be the day I quit riding. :thumbup:

Detrich

MCN has 3 really good videos on YouTube. One is how to get ur knee down. One is proper body positioning on cornering. And one is intro to wheelies. Just search on YouTube for MCN I guess

linkgt

Definitely go ahead and pop twist of the wrist in the DVD player. That helped me tremendously and I still watch it again from time to time and learn new things that I didn't retain before.
MCN has 3 really good videos on YouTube. One is how to get ur knee down. One is proper body positioning on cornering. And one is intro to wheelies. Just search on YouTube for MCN I guess
Will do this weekend. Thanks guys! :google:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

RoadTrip

Lamo...

I really liked Keith Code's recent article in Motorcyclist magazine:

Good Sport-Cornering Form - Motorcyclist Magazine

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lamo...

just a note that dragging a knee is actually just for indication purposes. it's to let you know how far leaned off and over the bike you are.

the guys at my NESBA track day told me "yeah the first few times you love dragging because you've never done it before. then you realize how expensive it is to replace pucks" :)