Intake leveling

cbzdel

Ok so I am at 5000 miles and I still have not calibrated my throttle bodies to be in sync. Mostly because that tool is expensive, about $100.

I seem to be ruining fine still but I am wondering what negative effects could this cause?

WIyamirider

None, really. Syncing the throttle bodies will smooth out the idle and increase the throttle response. It essentially allows all 4 cylinders to achieve the same power level, instead of some pulling harder than the others.

I'd imagine if it got way out of wack, you could start having issues with driveability and such. But you'd notice something was wrong a long time before that.

I'd recommend it be something you look into doing though. It always made a huge difference on my Ninja 250 after the carbs were synced. It always surprised me at how small of an adjustment made a difference.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I'm at 7,200 miles now and haven't had it done yet. I don't notice any difference in idle. It idles where it should still. I'm sure if I had it done I would surely notice something though in smoothness maybe. I will get it done this spring for sure.

FitZ6R

I used to have a mercury carb gauge, but I turned it in to hazmat disposal because I really didn't want that much toxic material around my home and family. The newer, non-hazardous gauges are more expensive, but owning one is still a bargain compared to paying a shop to do the work year after year.

I've looked at the homemade gauges, but it seems like they're all intended for twin engines, where you can use a simple U manometer to measure the vacuum difference between the cylinders. Not sure how that would work with a four cyl, but I have a few months to experiment.

FitZ6R

BTW, I've never hear it referred to as "intake leveling," although it makes perfect sense. I never really like the term "carb sychronization," since, to me at least, that implies that some kind of crucial timing is involved.