Inspection Reflector Issue

morno

I live in Maine and was talking with an inspection station today about the integrated tail light w/turn signals and FE kit I was going to install. They said they wouldn't inspect my bike without the reflectors (i.e. those ugly red bars in the back and the bars on each side). Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone have a creative solution to address this? The vibe I got was that I didn't need the stock reflectors to pass but that I needed something to reflect a vehicle's headlight. In the end I just want to clean up the tail section a bit.

Here is the link to Maine's inspection requirements: http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/vehicles_inspections/documents/InspectionManual12-15-2006withlawrevisionon06-16-10_000.pdf

Reflectors for motorcycles is on page 13 (and it kind of backs up the guy's comments).

Thanks,
-Dan

P.S. Newbie to the forum and FZ6r...

PWJ

Double side tape some reflectors on the bike for the inspection. After you are done take them off until the next inspection. You ever get pulled over by the cops and the one in a thousand chance they know to mention it just say "oh really they must have broke off but I will replace them immediately since you pointed this out, thank you". And that's it

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

morno

Thanks for your inputs guys. It was a dealer in Caribou (that is borderline New Brunswick). I don't really want to slander anyone if you aren't near there; are you near there?

I was thinking of adding those little reflectors to mount the plate to FE as well as install them where the turn signals would go to have the reflection from both sides and the rear since.

-Dan

bigguybbr

I was thinking about getting some L brackets from home depot so I can use the reflector bolts on the bottom of my plate, but also have it wrap around so I can have reflectors on the side of my bike coming off the license plate. In my state that would make my set up fully legal, and should still keep the look nice and tidy.

CBanks2343

MikeN02

I use the bolt reflectors as well. Some guy mentioned you get in trouble for not having them here but my friend rode his for while and never got in trouble (then he sold the bike).

I would say don't do stupid stuff so that the cop would add on to your ticket. The majority of sport bikes "mods" are illegal, look on the slip-on canisters, it says for track use and not for street.

But then again we don't really have bike inspections here in FL.

PF2411

Interesting. never heard of a state inspection motorcycles. Like why would they care and what state would want to blow cash in a needless program. In Arizona if your ride has some offence about it you know when the cop pulls you over or when you have some sue you because it made the operation of your bike cause harm . The market place and LE takes care of these kind of things very effectively. Sounds like make work and make more taxes to me....

bmw675

this is why im glad to live in an area that doesn't require inspections, motorcycles or cars. always heard from people saying their car didn't pass emissions because of something small.

Jaralaccs

Interesting. never heard of a state inspection motorcycles. Like why would they care and what state would want to blow cash in a needless program.
Well of course it makes the state money, not cost them. Its not free, you have to go to a motorcycle repair shop and pay them to do it.
Its really a simple safety check of things you would want to work anyway, lights etc, has to have mirrors, tires and brakes have to be ok

RockZooky

Maine inspections are crazy. If you go by the book you pretty much have to remain stock. Last year they passed a law saying that you can’t use an aftermarket exhaust on any vehicle, car, truck, motorcycle. It’s funny because we get so many tourists from other states that don’t have this dumb law so it really won’t help that much.

MikeN02

The only inspection I had was when I was taking my drivers license test at the DMV. Had to make sure everything was working and what was stupid was the horn on the car wasn't working. So I had to go get a new fuse for it and it still barely worked so I pounded on the steering wheel and it honked a little.

sbhoopsfan

No bike inspections in NJ, so we get a break there.