Hyperpro Suspension Upgrade

joloy133

Finally installed the Hyperpro progressive spring kit for the 6R's. Cost was just under $500, for the oil, front and rear springs, including labor. I've always felt the suspension was soft when you push it and are a heavier rider. (I'm 5'9" 192 lbs. in the morning, nekkid.)

Anyway, first impressions are very positive. Better road feel, in the corners and over small rolls. Theres less of a "wallowing" effect that was really evident. (Theres a stretch of road I ride at about 80 mph that has a few dips and the bike stayed tight up and down!). Haven't pushed it hard into turns yet. Overall the feel is confident, or better connected with the road.:thumbup:

There is slightly more vibration at higher revs but very insignificant. The bike also seems to be quicker in response to bar input at speed. City driving was the same as usual. I'm really liking the upgrade, seems to be the best bang for the buck. I thought about replacing the entire back shock, but the Racetech folks advised that the back shock was fine for the riding I wanted to do. (They will profile you and recommend their best offering when you request.) Cost was $1800 for Racetech set up.

Last edited:
i have the hyper rear shock waiting to go in . gonna be a few weeks :mad:

Seriously considered that also, update when you can. Did you re-valve the front shocks or just swap springs and oil? Which rear shock did you go with, I think you have some choices? (Awesome mod...yeah! Rode again today.)

Sorry if I'm boring everyone, but with good weather today I buzzed the hills in Napa and am enthusiastic about the suspension mod/upgrade. I was able to push it even more and the improvement is awesome. Seriously great!

Sorry if I'm boring everyone, but with good weather today I buzzed the hills in Napa and am enthusiastic about the suspension mod/upgrade. I was able to push it even more and the improvement is awesome. Seriously great!

Wish I knew you were going. I cruised up the way we went on Monticello then up valley a ways this afternoon. It was perfect today.

Did you buy a kit setup for a specific rider weight? I'm a bigger guy and the suspension is too soft for sure in the front. Not having adjustable forks makes it difficult. Gotta get the right thing the first time. I want to step up more in the rear (I run 4 on the preload) but when I do that it just feels too unbalanced. So even though it's too soft all around, at least it's balanced.

These are progressive springs, so the coils are wound at different spacing throughout its length. The theory is; as forces work to compress the spring the resistance to collapse is stiffened proportionally to the amount of force applied. (I did call their c/s dept. and talked to the rep about my application).

Considering our stock suspension I felt this set up was best for what I wanted to improve. There's info on motorcycle suspensions I researched as there are different thoughts on set up and types of springs; (single rate = "RaceTech", dual rate = "Progressive Suspension" , and progressive rate = "HyperPro"). Each company explains why their approach is best of course. I went with HyperPro....see their site and plenty of google threads too!:thumbup:

Wish I knew you were going. I cruised up the way we went on Monticello then up valley a ways this afternoon. It was perfect today.

Yeah it was perfect, I was out from 3 to 5 pm, even went to Brix in Yountville to leave a note for my son. Maybe we'll do a local ride in March, I think Spring is coming early.

i'm going to attempt to do a r6r fork swap here soon, i'll let you guys know if it works.. will be another option if it does.

I just called Hyper Pro and they said they do not have anything for the FZ6R, just the FZ6...?!?! What did you guys get? I am planning on buying right now, front and rear but he said they dont make them. Did you all just get the FZ6 ones and not know it or is this guy lost?

Can you supply me with part numbers please?

Awesome! So for the combo of front and rear it would be SP-YA06-SSC040. I'll give em a call tomorrow and get that shit on its way! :D

I went out with about 8 riders yesterday and just got tore up in the twisties. Bike didnt want to corner for crap. Felt squirley all the way through corners at speed. Front would dive and just feels way too soft. I love the bike and know its no track bike, but for this price it seems to be a hell of an upgrade from stock.

Plus my wife rides with me a lot so it could be a little stiffer in the rear :eek: Keep your jokes to yourself! haha

If they would answer their damn phone, I could place an order. Been trying all morning and just get their message machine... :spank:

Awesome! So for the combo of front and rear it would be SP-YA06-SSC040. I'll give em a call tomorrow and get that shit on its way! :D

I went out with about 8 riders yesterday and just got tore up in the twisties. Bike didnt want to corner for crap. Felt squirley all the way through corners at speed. Front would dive and just feels way too soft. I love the bike and know its no track bike, but for this price it seems to be a hell of an upgrade from stock.

Plus my wife rides with me a lot so it could be a little stiffer in the rear :eek: Keep your jokes to yourself! haha

THERE FRONT SPRINGS GETS RID OF THAT SCARY CORNERING FEELING :wav:

Ok! Finally answered their phone and got them on order. They are of course out of stock but she said they get their shipments every Wednesday so it will ship out next week. Thats fine with me.

Came out to $280 shipped. Not bad if they are as good as I have heard! :steve: I will do the install myself, or with the help of some buddies :cool: REALLY excited to get these on the bike! I have 8k on it now, so I should be able to do a really good before and after comparison.

Now you guys have me interested.

I'd prefer to put my money into handling before engine performance items.

Only $280.00 shipped?

How the heck do you replace the spring on the rear shock?
Looks like a real tough job.

Saving my $$ for this now....

jspansel, please give us your feedback on the install and the change in handling.
If this does what I think it will for the price this is THE option.

;)

Jason, when you call, are these ordered based on a weight (of the rider) you give them?

I looked at their lowering spring for this bike but wonder if that coupled with the Roaring Toyz link would be too much? Perhaps I will call them to see if I can get one that is 1/2" lower, not 1.5" lower because that is all she needs with the link installed.

Spunky,

I will be doing a detailed write up with LOTS of pics when I get to the install. You need a spring compressor to get the spring off of the rear. Once I have the assembly out, I will swing it by a shop down here and they will ususally do a quick swap like that for a $20 in the palm ;). Another guy I saw got his swapped for a $5! So I may start low haha

FZ1inNH,

No, they did not say anything about weight, height, etc. Bike based, not rider. From the part numbers it looks like its just the springs and thats it. Comes with oil. No other options I did not see anything regarding lowering springs either. Only one that had that option was the FZ6, not the XJ6/FZ6R.

Back