How to install a fan override switch?

jackflash

I am new to the forum, but have really learned a lot in the short time I've had my new fz6r. I am interested in installing a switch to manually turn on the cooling fan when in traffic. I was hoping to see some photos or get some specific instructions on how to tap in to the right wires. Please help!

husker525

I am sorry I do not have pictures. I didn't feel like pulling off the side plastic to get to it. All you have to do is find the fan, and splice into the 2 wires going from the thermostat sensor and the fan. You can splice into the circuit, and over ride the signal that would come from the temp sensor.

Are you concerned about the temps you are reaching while sitting in traffic? Most of these bikes are designed to run a little hot, and the fan will come on before the temps reach even close to a critical meltdown stage or damage.

jackflash

Thanks for the info. I am just quirky I guess, but I just can't seem to get used to the temps these bikes can run, especially in traffic. I live in South Carolina where the summer temps get very hot. I bought my bike three months ago, and all of my riding has been in cool to cold weather, and I still see the temps in the 220s. I am sure the bike is designed to hold up fine well past that, and the fan does come on and relieve some of the heat when necessary, but I just would like the ability to turn it on before it reaches those higher levels.

mike1000

That would be pretty cool. Please let me know how if you get someone to actually explain it or show you pics. Sometimes I don't care what the bike is made to do as much as I would like for it to do certain things when and how I want it to do them.

Last edited:

husker525

Some small things you can do to lower operating temps have been discussed here in other threads. You can have fair success with things like Engine Ice, or Water Wetter, or equivalent products. I run Engine Ice in all my race quads, and bikes. It will lower temps 5-15 degrees on an average.

You might check with your stealership, and see if there is a colder thermostat you can install, as well.

I looked at all the parts schematics to see if I could locate what wires to splice into, with no success. I (think) it is the small bundle of wires coming off the right side of the head tube, going down behind the radiator. The radiator can be loosened with the removal of 3 bolts, gaining visual access to the fan, on the back side of the radiator.

I am surprised your bike runs so hot. I have seen mine hit 220 only once, and that was in a parade, in 110 degree heat. Once I started serpentining like a Shriner, it dropped down to around 205 and stayed.

Here is a link for some reading: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/why-so-hot-19127/

Last edited:

FitZ6R

All you have to do is find the fan, and splice into the 2 wires going from the thermostat sensor and the fan. You can splice into the circuit, and over ride the signal that would come from the temp sensor.
Uh, NO. Sorry to be blunt, but I'd hate so see someone's bike screwed up by trial and error. The cooling fan, along with all the other engine parameters, are contolled through the ECU. Messing with the temp sensor willl throw everything off.

I'd suggest locating the fan relay under the seat and connecting a single pole, 20 Amp switch between the brown/black wire and the blue wire. This will give you complete manual override (including fan on with engine off) without affecting the ECU. I can sketch a diagram if anyone needs it.

husker525

Uh, NO. Sorry to be blunt, but I'd hate so see someone's bike screwed up by trial and error. The cooling fan, along with all the other engine parameters, are contolled through the ECU. Messing with the temp sensor willl throw everything off.

I'd suggest locating the fan relay under the seat and connecting a single pole, 20 Amp switch between the brown/black wire and the blue wire. This will give you complete manual override (including fan on with engine off) without affecting the ECU. I can sketch a diagram if anyone needs it.
I am glad you were blunt, so no need to apologize. I think your suggestion is dead on, I didn't even think of it, and you even have the wire colors to help.

I do pose this question, however. If you tapped into the power wires for the fan, with a switch that told it to turn on and off at your command, and not the ECU's, how would this effect the temp sensor or the ECU? Aren't you just sending power to fan, manually?

How is tapping in to the fan relay any different, other than just ease of location?

jackflash

I appreciate the help guys. I am planning on doing it the way Fitz6r described. I do not plan on changing the function of the ecu controlled fan, just want to have manual ability to override. This is the same method a close friend of mine with an r1 recommends. He simply runs a single wire from a switch to a green/yellow wire off the fan relay (on his R1) and ties into it with a no cut wire splice. Runs a second wire from the switch to a ground, and it's done. Said this has worked on all three generations of R1s he has owned over the years. I just hit Radio Shack today and picked up my switch, wire, splicers, etc. today and am nervously ready to begin. If you could expand just a bit more on where under the seat, and what the relay looks like, which side of it to tie in, I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry to be a litttle dense, but I am new to bike mods, and just want to know for sure before I go poking through the wiring blind!
Thanks

FitZ6R

How is tapping in to the fan relay any different, other than just ease of location?
A long as you tap in on the load side of the relay, and don't connect anything to the temp sensor, you're good. The relay is just an easy location to find the wires, and the splices will stay dry.

herbie

This is my opinion so take it for what it cost. but the bike will look after cooling itself and the closer to boiling point it is keeps condensation out of the crankcase.and overriding the fan just taxes the charging system more.