How not to ride in the twisties...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ry-mac75

Near as I can figure - looks like he just spaced out... can happen to anyone, timing was just very unfortunate.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Not the type of road to be riding like that! I think he just freaked out and fixated on that van as well.

motomc2

+1 Roaddawg. Bikes can...

also do funny things coming out of turns at high speeds. Especially if your lean wasn't on mark. I've had a few accidents myself, but not to the intensity of that one. Not one to watch and then go riding.

JSP

Super Moderator
If he grabbed the front break, it most likely stood him up and he panicked and maybe tried to go to the left of it? Sucks.

Detrich

ouchie wouchie...

Superfly

wow what a wreck. that road is pretty narrow. looks like thats in a country with them old school road laws like : "The horse with the bigger saddle has the right of way"...:D

Either way once you lift up and brake youre done. I saw the same accident except there wasnt a van there. The rider just was too hot and drove straight off the road in front of me...didnt really even brake much...I think its a new rider move...rossi would have leaned harder:rolleyes:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know....it appears he was fine going into the corner, then realized it was his ex-wife and the man she left him for... :don'tknow:

No, all kidding aside, it does look like target fixation. Or he freaked and grabbed a handful of front brake and stood it up. There have been times when I was out riding normally and a vehicle that comes around a semi-blind curve can spook you, especially if you haven't encountered any traffic up to that point.

Hope everyone was alright.

Roaddawg

I don't know....it appears he was fine going into the corner, then realized it was his ex-wife and the man she left him for... :don'tknow:

No, all kidding aside, it does look like target fixation. Or he freaked and grabbed a handful of front brake and stood it up. There have been times when I was out riding normally and a vehicle that comes around a semi-blind curve can spook you, especially if you haven't encountered any traffic up to that point.

Hope everyone was alright.
One of the popular motorcycle roads where I live goes up to a lake, Lake Berryessa. I've been spooked a few times coming around a tight twisty a little 'spirited', to see a big ass truck pulling his big ass boat and riding the double yellow :eek:....gotta love that!

Detrich

the bit about the minivan driver in the caption made me laugh tho, as did this video that showed up at the end of that video...

Motorcycle Skatman Part 2Video

hehehe xP

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

off-topic... but, i went riding today and realized that sometimes just navigating a gas station is more difficult than other riding... i went to fuel up and got boxed in all all sides, and i was facing the wrong way. being the newbie that i am, i didn't have the confidence to just try to squeeze between all the cars in such a small space without room to pickup any speed- esp since cars were coming and going everywhere. so, the only thing i could do was to push my bike around the other direction so that i was facing the driveway exit, and then took off that way... felt kinda dumb, but dunno what else i could've done in that scenario... lol

what do u guys usually do?

ry-mac75

off-topic... but, i went riding today and realized that sometimes just navigating a gas station is more difficult than other riding... i went to fuel up and got boxed in all all sides, and i was facing the wrong way. being the newbie that i am, i didn't have the confidence to just try to squeeze between all the cars in such a small space without room to pickup any speed- esp since cars were coming and going everywhere. so, the only thing i could do was to push my bike around the other direction so that i was facing the driveway exit, and then took off that way... felt kinda dumb, but dunno what else i could've done in that scenario... lol

what do u guys usually do?
If you have good clutch work - you should be okay at slow speeds. Just practice stretching the bike by riding the clutch and back brake to keep the bike taunt and upright at slow speeds. I live in downtown Toronto and if I didn't work on stretching the bike, it'd be next to impossible to navigate traffic. It's probably one of the most useful skills a new rider can learn.

M76

+1 on bad road choice. I'm only comfortable riding twisties with a centre line or, at the very least, enough space for 2 cars to drive in opposite directions comfortably...

I hope the rider was OK though....