how do you tolerate long rides

BluePill

These things helped me to ride longer:

1. 30mm handlebar risers. I sit up more, which takes the pressure off of my wrists; It also reduced the handlebar "Buzz" by at least half.

2. Sheepskin seat cover. Six hours now feels no worse than one hour without. Tried a gel cover, but didn't feel any real improvement.

3. Gloves with gel pad inserts.

flyingminno

Everything stock, and I've comfortably done 800 mile rides in a day. It all boils down to youth and stopping every 100 miles to stretch and jog.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

flyingminno

You should be able to get 160 miles between stops:D At 38 yrs old, 100miles was what I needed, but I was still sore for a couple of days after doing 450 miles on a Fri, then another 450 miles on a Monday.
Oh I have gone for over 200 miles without stopping on iron butt style rides, but at the end of the day my butt and lower back are stiff and sore, so I found that the 100 mile stops are perfect for keeping on the seat all day. Plus it allows me to wipe the collection of bugs off the visor and admire the new color on the front of my bike :innocent:.

phenchick

Rode for NINE hours the Memorial weekend. It was my first big long ride. Lots of hills and twisties. Was super stoked that I kept up with all the guys pretty good. (not only new rider but also the only chick rider in this particular group). I was even more thrilled when I heard one of the guys tell another..."I am surprised how well she is taking those curves. She is doing a WHOLE lot better then what I expected". Yeah.. made me all warm and fuzzy inside ;). Was even told at the end I was no longer considered a noob (although I know I still have lots to learn). I was having so much fun I did not realize till I was closer to home how tired I was. My butt was ever so happy to feel the softness of my couch. Other then that I had no real soreness or stiffness even on the next day. Which is a good thing considering I rode another 2 1/2 hours to visit fam of mine the next day. I credit that to doing really well at hitting the gym however. haha. Been on several 2-3 hr rides since then. Cant wait for the next long one!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

phenchick

yeah.. I know. I was on a ride last weekend. Trying to semi keep up with them. Was doing well until I came up on a 10 mph curve, uphill, and steeply slope. I got scared and looked to the side of the road for a safe place to pull over and regroup. Dropped about three gears, while in a lean. yelp.. came to a stop.. and just fell over. And of course I cant pick the bike up on my own. The guys had to help me pick it up and ride it on up to a flat spot for me to get started again. THANK GOD for frame sliders!!! No damage to the bike. I was told at the end lots of experience men have bit the same curve and told me what I did wrong. I am just glad to ride with a group that doesn't criticize and want to teach me when I do something wrong and encourage me when I do well! But needless to say.. I took the rest of the curves at a much slower pace!!