Honda Crossrunner

bjs045

creggur

Yep, I've been watching this one quite intently as I'd pretty much be a built-in buyer for Honda it they'd bring it here...

No indication that they intend to - which really sucks because as much as I love my VFR's engine the ergos are really starting to wear on me... The V4 800 in an upright riding position would be Nirvana!

Superzoom

I sincerely apologize Creggur for my bluntness, but that bike hurts my eyes.

Someone on ADVRider posted this "separated at birth" photo which made me laugh:

But I would imagine my tastes are a little too pedestrian. I love the Bonneville, the Ducati 916, Vincent Black Shadow, etc.

creggur

No apology required... We on VFRD make fun of Honda's design miscues plenty. The VFR1200 is affectionately known as "The Breaching Buffalo" because it looks like a buffalo giving birth. The Forum owner refers to his own VFR1200 (which the forum membership bought for him after his 5th Gen VFR was totaled by a texting driver) as "The Veefalo".

One of the VFRD members posted this separated-at-birth pic about the Crossrunner. The bike is now known as "The Giant Rabbit" - And we are the VFR-o-philes of the world...

I've restyled it for them to suit my tastes:

Last edited:

Superzoom

Creggur,

I was going to mention the VFR and the DN-01 as well, but there are so many bikes I think are ugly, it would be easier to list the bikes I do like!

Well, I guess what it boils down to is that the Japanese and Germans have a different aesthetic than I do. Japanese want their bikes to look like robots, and the BMW likes its bikes to look "functional". I would, however, say that the stylists at Triumph come up with a lot of great designs.

No one can blame you for liking Honda engineering, though. I'm sure the Crossrunner will be a great bike. Old VFR owners are pretty passionate about their bikes, and old VFR's are bikes that make sense. With that DNA, the Crossrunner will be a great all-around bike.

Having said that, I am genuine impressed with both Yamaha's engineering, quality control, and styling. I'm happy as a pig in poop with my FZ6R. Such a quality product. I can't see any Honda being much better, dollar for dollar.

Stephenfz6r

Over 500 lbs, it's a pig.:justkidding:

Superzoom

The old VFR has a similar weight, and it's never been described as a pig. Bikes in the sport touring category tend to be much heavier than sport bikes. The weight is a trade-off for comfort and stability.

Frankly, the FZ6R could be considered a "pig" based on its power-to-weight ratio. It's not a light bike.

creggur

The Crossrunner should come in a little bit lighter than the 6th Gen VFR - if for no other reason losing the super-reinforced rear subframe to hold the heavy-as-hell undertail exhaust...

Honda have lost their way over the past few years, and I think they are now playing catchup. They are centering a lot of their new models on the V4 engine platform - which is a good idea - it really is an awesome powerplant. But, yeah, their design department could use some fresh blood and original ideas...

As to the weight of the VFR - the numbers look bad, but the heft disappears the second you're underway...

Stephenfz6r

Honda could do better than 530lbs, is ugly automatically heavy?:justkidding: Yes the FZ6R could be lighter when you consider the FZ8 and FZ1 are the same weight.
Backing up on a heavy bike is when you feel it the most.:Sport:

Dunkirk

I sincerely apologize Creggur for my bluntness, but that bike hurts my eyes.

Someone on ADVRider posted this "separated at birth" photo which made me laugh:

But I would imagine my tastes are a little too pedestrian. I love the Bonneville, the Ducati 916, Vincent Black Shadow, etc.
Haha,

My first thought was "roadrunner" not "crossrunner"!

Beep beep

sammy56

I am usually a bit relunctant to jump in to buy new models...although I did get the FZ6R! I was nervous though and felt the basis of a de-tuned R6 appealed to me and I feel lucky that the "buzziness" is not bad (I love this bike) and use to be worse in older FZ6 models (per commentary).
That all being said, there are so many new and good options being released, it may pay off to wait and see how all these new bikes perform and have whatever kinks in the armour that may exist, be exposed and hopefully addressed. Here are the new bikes that seem like unbelievably great bikes (to me):
Triumph GT
FZ8 (with half fairing)
Ninja 1000
Yamaha Super Tenere (I love that this has a shaft final drive)
FZ1 (I still love it)
Whatever Suzuki may produce soon??

LB

Superzoom

Great list, LB/Sammy.

Off the top of my head, I would add to that the Triumph Tiger 800, which is the first non-homely adventure style bike I've seen that doesn't also weigh a ton. I would take that bike everywhere on all kinds of roads. Heck, I already take my FZ6R on gravel two-up.

sammy56

I do like the Tiger 800 too......does it have at least a bikini fairing....hard to tell from this pic? I tend to ultimately end up on some highways so I am very biased toward liking fairings.

LB

Superzoom

I do like the Tiger 800 too......does it have at least a bikini fairing....hard to tell from this pic? I tend to ultimately end up on some highways so I am very biased toward liking fairings.
I believe it has a clear medium-small windscreen as standard, meaning it doesn't give as much protection as most other adventure bikes, but I'm sure it's fine for the highway.

Out of all the bikes right now I would consider trading the fz6r for the honda crossrunner. Seems like a natural upgrade as opposed to my dream of a ducati 848 evo.